First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I took the plunge! I decided to make my first batch of cider today. I've been reading this forum and the EdWort "encyclopedia" thread and went for it. I was getting too confused reading all the information and decided it was time to just do it. My recipe:

2.5 gallons of Mott's 100% apple juice
1# light brown sugar (store didn't have dark)
4oz. lactose
1 packet of Nottingham ale yeast

I disolved the brown sugar and lactose in 1 1/2 gallons of juice and got it up to about 170 degrees. I let it cool a bit and dumped it into my fermenter bucket along with the rest of the juice, which was room temperature. I pitched the yeast at about 80 degrees, stired, put the lid on and set in aside in my brewing closet. The closet stays between 68 and 70 roughly. Now the waiting beginns!

Let me know if anybody sees anything wrong with either this recipe or my procedure.

Thanks

P.S. I did make a noob mistake though, I forgot to take a hydrometer reading after I pitched :mad:

I'm a noob too but that sounds fine... in fact sounds similar to the batches I have going. I think it'll work fine, but granted I'm no expert.

I just started a 5.5 gal batch using 5.5 gal motts, 2 lbs light brown sugar, and 1 pkg nottingham ale yeast.* Airlock is bubbling like crazy.* So far so good.* Gotta stay patient because I just wiped out my bottled stock tonight and have 3 weeks before anything else is ready to drink:(

Back