wlp007 substitute - i have s05 and windsor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturkish

Reaction score
making this brown ale from surly and it's recommend to use wlp007, northernbrewer also got surlys blessing to allow using wyeast 1335 british ale II

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...surly-bender-pro-series-partial-mash-kit.html

i only have windsor and s-05, which of the two would you recommened?

i bought the windsor last night as a substitute but now i'm questioning my decision, should i see if i can exchange it for something else, maybe s-04?

Interesting question. WLP007 will give English character and is a high attenuating yeast. S-05 is also high attenuating, but will not give English character. Windsor has lots of English character, but is medium to low attenuation. Hmmm. I use Windsor sometimes in a sweet stout and in an English pale ale with honey and like it alot. For what its worth.

If you can exchange it for S-04, I'd go that route for this recipe.

I would go with 05....but if you want to get crazy why not mix the yeasts together in some percentage? Maybe 80% 05 and 20% Windsor....

I think Bamsdealer has the right idea. The Windsor will give you that English character,and the -05 will clean up any of the residual sugars to bring it down to where the WLP would have brought it.

Back