Beer Road Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwf6189

Reaction score
Hello All,
My roommate and I have planned a bit of a road trip for our spring break the first week of April. We will leave Asheville, NC and head up to Cooperstown, NY to tour Brewery Ommegang. Then up to Portland, ME to tour Allagash (we will be here for two nights). Then we will stay with a friend in Philly, and finish off with a tour at Dogfish Head in Milton, DE before heading back to Asheville. I was just wondering if anyone native to these areas knows of any key spots to visit, either beer, or hiking, etc. related..., and also, I'll be looking for some delicious local micro brews to pick up along the way... you know the local gems that we likely don't get here down south. We will be at each location for one night with the exception of Portland where we will lay over for two days. Also feel free to share stories of similar experiences.
Thanks in advance for any info!

Dude, I love the Northeast! Lots of good stuff in New England, but in Portland there's Gritty McDuff's and Sebago brewpubs. Maine Beer Co., Rising Tide and Geary's for something to bring home. There are a ton of others around the area and on the way (driving).

Check out Legend Brewery in Richmond, VA. Great beer and great food! Nice lunch stop on the way! Have fun, I've been meaning to do a Montana brew tour soon! can never go wrong with a brew tour! Allagash is some good beer, and DFH is always great, never been to DFH tap room though. Also check out Gritty's Brew Pubs in Maine, they have a few up there. Their Oatmeal Stout is to die for! Have fun!

Also check out Treoggs, Newport, or Sea Dog....Awwww....I'm so jealous, Take me! Take me! I love Northeast breweries and brewpubs!

Awesome, will definitely hit up a Gritty's, the menu looked delicious. As for Harpoon, we have considered stopping in Boston on the way to Philly, just add a little extra drive but not a big deal. Might have to pencil that in.

Sweet, gritty's is great food. I went there last year for spring break, on a beer tour myself. also went to alligash and sea dog. great time. If you drive through richmond, check out Legend Brew pub aswell. Let me know how it goes! So Jealous!

Does anyone know of a store in Philly where I would be able to scoop some Troegs? Would like to find some Nugget Nectar if there's a chance there's any still around.

Cooperstown is home of the Baseball Hall of Fame if you are into that. Also Yuengling is in Pennsylvania if you are into that type of beer.

It is awesome!! You will love it. I used to live in upstate NY and went to college 20 minutes from Cooperstown.

White Birch is up in NH, and they can be found around Philly. Here's a locator:

http://www.whitebirchbrewing.com/home/find-our-beer/store-locator/#map_top

I went to the website for Monde Market in Philly, and they had a a pic of some Troegs. Also, if you do go towards Boston - I'd make a stop in Ipswich, MA. There is Ipswich Ale and Clown Shoes (brewed at Mercury Brewing Co.) to check out. Go to the Choate Bridge Pub for some grub!

Does anyone know of a store in Philly where I would be able to scoop some Troegs? Would like to find some Nugget Nectar if there's a chance there's any still around.

troeg's has pretty wide distribution in the northeast. you should be able to find NN at most places. they just sent out a new batch.

Make sure to check out the Cooperstown Brewery. It's maybe a 5 minute drive from Ommegang and is a much better tour/tasting.

Latest posts

Back