Question bout screwtop glass gallons???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebux

Reaction score
Can the 1 gal glass screwtop wine bottles be used for aging by filling w final product mead, that is done fermenting for at least a month, no bubbles in mead what so ever, and just rescrewing the top on... This mead is my first batch an will surely be consumed pretty quickly.... But is it ok to store or a bit this way?.? Thanks

If you're going to use the original screw cap instead of an air lock, then I'd say you need to top op as much as possible to avoid any and all possible air exchange.

I use the gallon wine jugs too for aging even fermenting small batches, I've noticed when I screw the caps to shake or swirl when mixing/aerating a little bit leaks out , so I don't think those caps will work to well to be air tight. I actually keep an airlock on them even while aging. Could get some non-drilled #6 rubber stoppers for about 50 cents each and if budget or availablity doesnt allow for that maybe screw the cap on and either wax seal it or (yeah I'm born and raised redneck) wrap it tightly with electrical tape?

I like that electric tape technique , that's straight up redneck engineering ... And will work just fine I am sure... Good idea...

I use glass half gallon jugs that are designed for screw tops. The jugs and caps are ancient (30 years plus). They all cleaned up fine, but all the original seals are knackered. So I found some plastic foam sheet used for wrapping parcels, that I cut circular seals from. I can't certify air or liquid tight, but have yet to have one leak when inverted......

As for making a tape seal, I wouldn't use electricians tape, as its got all that glue on it, which, in theory at least, could contaminate the brew. Try plumbers PTFE tape wound round the threaded part of the jug. It's safe for use with water and doesn't have any glue.........

Makes sense. Prob gonna pick up some un drilled stoppers . but what you did sounds good too.. Will try that out also... A friends father sucks down a gallon a week or so of wine in those gal glass jugs so it's a real convienance to get those jugs from him.....Thanks

Back