Welches grape wine - Taking forever to finish fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made a batch of 6.5 of a brand of grape juice. I added 4 pounds of sugar to it (I know I know). And two months and a half later and its still appears to have small tiny tiny bubbles at the top.

My problem is. This was made when I didnt have a hydrometer. I want to bottle it to use the carboy for beer.

I want to bottle it but assume it might bomb on me. Could the tiny bubbles just provide slight carbonation if I bottle sometime in the next few days? Or how can I speed this up?

The house had gone up abput 3 degrees as summer is coming. Im dieing to try this batch out. :tank: :( :tank:

Take an s.g. now- if it's under .996 it's probably done. If it's over that, it may or may not be done- depends on what you started with. If you bottle with wine bottles and corks and it's not done, it'll blow the corks on you.

If it's done, and you want to bottle, you need to degas. See the post below for how to degas.

For future reference, wine takes a long time as a rule. I bottle 8 months to a year after I start one, usually. For this wine, it's alot quicker, but never less than 3 months from start to bottling.

You need more carboys.

Thats what I keep telling myself lol.

Yea I agree with Yooper. Take SG now. If it is above .996 then take another SG in 3 days. Do it again in another 3 days. Did the SG stay the same all 3 times? If so you should be fine then.

Back