120L no raisin flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
6 lbs pale DME
1 lb crystal 120
14 oz dark belgian candy sugar

1 oz fuggles 60 min

danstar

Mildly sweet, well loved by my friends and family, good but not at all raisinny.

Missing something?

6 lbs pale DME
1 lb crystal 120
14 oz dark belgian candy sugar

1 oz fuggles 60 min

danstar

Mildly sweet, well loved by my friends and family, good but not at all raisinny.

Missing something?

Who's malt were you using?

Also, did you use hard or candi syrup sugar?

Like suggested a dark special b for the raisin.

Special B is a good way to get it, but I know with special B a lot of the flavor will depend on yeast and fermentation temps. I don't know about 120L, maybe it's the same?

Any description I recall seeing describes 120 as "raisin" like.

Malt in a HUGE bucket at my LHBS labelled "crystal 120" is what I used, I didn't ask what brand it was.

Hard candy sugar I made myself that was probably only medium dark. (lemon juice, sugar, water, heat)

That's a lot of C120, and it seems odd you aren't perceiving any of its characteristics. I can easily detect about 0.5 lb. of C120 in a beer with nearly 20 lb. of grain. Perhaps the bin was mislabeled or what you are tasting isn't matching your preconceived notion of what other people call 'raisin.' Palates are subjective and our minds are powerful things.

Damn. Good answer chemcraig.

So it should have tasted raisiny.

Swmbo's tastebuds are pretty unjaded, she detected no raisin either.

Be careful in buying your crystal malts. I didn't know this until I saw it mentioned in Gordon Strong's book, but American crystal malts can be produced with either 2-row or 6-row barley. Needless to say, the 6-row versions are cheaper and less tasty than 2-row.

I can easily taste raisin and toffee-like flavors with 120L. It doesn't usually take that much. I'd have to look up the recipe again, but I don't think I went over 1/2 lb. in my last barleywine. Mixed with some other crystal malts too though.

Back