Outdoor burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkhomebrew

Reaction score
I just moved into my new apartment. My girlfriend got me an outdoor burner and stock pot for my bday. She rocks. Here is the problem. The burner is 90,000 btu and Im up stairs. I plan on using the wooden balcony. Should I worry about burning the place down?

The "drinking a few" part is fine, but you don't want to leave your pot unattended anyway because of one simple fact. BOILOVERS!

Keep it supervised, make sure to stir to avoid scorching, and keep the regulaor monitored & a spray mister handy to avoid boil overs. If you must leave it unattended, make it for only a very brief minute. Boilovers sneak up quick. I have only had a small partial boilover, i got it under control very quickly. The clean up was not fun. It peeled the paint off of my garage floor.

As for brewing on your wood balcony, I would suggest going to the local Home Depot, or Lowes. You can grab a couple of 12"x12" paving tiles, or cinder blocks, or brick, for fairly cheap. Instant homemade hearth!!!

Ed_Savage said:
As for brewing on your wood balcony, I would suggest going to the local Home Depot, or Lowes. You can grab a couple of 12"x12" paving tiles, or cinder blocks, or brick, for fairly cheap. Instant homemade hearth!!!

Thats exacly what we did for our deck.

Ed_Savage said:
The "drinking a few" part is fine, but you don't want to leave your pot unattended anyway because of one simple fact. BOILOVERS!

Keep it supervised, make sure to stir to avoid scorching, and keep the regulaor monitored & a spray mister handy to avoid boil overs. If you must leave it unattended, make it for only a very brief minute. Boilovers sneak up quick. I have only had a small partial boilover, i got it under control very quickly. The clean up was not fun. It peeled the paint off of my garage floor.

That's a damn good idea. i wanted to cook on my deck but didnt want to burn my house down. i'll have to get some pavers and try it with my next batch.

If your neighbors get nosy, just tell them you are cooking meth., and to not make any sudden moves. That'll ease their minds.

In my area, far more cook up meth. than they do beer. If you say, "I make my own meth." you are just small talking. But if you say, "I brew beer" they give you a funny look, and ask you what is wrong with bud light.

gibfried said:
If your neighbors get nosy, just tell them you are cooking meth., and to not make any sudden moves. That'll ease their minds.

In my area, far more cook up meth. than they do beer. If you say, "I make my own meth." you are just small talking. But if you say, "I brew beer" they give you a funny look, and ask you what is wrong with bud light.

It's really funny when the "Crank Heads" start approaching you asking you what you are cooking up. Last time I was brewing out in my garage, some tweeker was riding by on his bike clenching a stereo (most likely freshly stolen). He swerved back around and rode up to my driveway gate asking me what I was cooking up. I told him that I was brewing beer, and then he asked me to give him a sample. I was like sorry bud, this needs time to ferment first. Then he wanted to know at which step I add the alcohol to it. Damn crank heads.

gibfried said:
If I hadn't looked to see you're in the Ozarks, I was going to assume you were from San Bernardino, or at least somewhere in So. California. :D

I've always brewed on a wooden deck, and never had any issues. I'd avoid getting too crazy with the burner, and I'd probably keep it a safe distance from the wood. Just use as much care as you would anytime you were playing with fire and a potentially sticky mess.

drinkhomebrew, what BTU rating did this one carry?

What's a decent BTU rating for a burner? Saw one recently at 200,000 BTUs, but that seems a bit high for what we'd need it for.

drinkhomebrew said:
I just moved into my new apartment. My girlfriend got me an outdoor burner and stock pot for my bday. She rocks. Here is the problem. The burner is 90,000 btu and Im up stairs. I plan on using the wooden balcony. Should I worry about burning the place down?
I wouldn't worry so much as long as you keep an eye on it. But if it worries you too much, try this for brewing.

Wild

Back