Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have made this recipe twice now and it is fantastic! 1st batch exactly as OP recipe; 2nd batch changed hops to EKG and yeast to WL 565. Both turned out great. Question: I would like to xperiment with rye in a saison. Building off of this recipe, any recommendation as to morph this into a rye saison?

i've added 5% rye to my saison and it gives it just a little something extra, I love it. I also tasted a saison at the GABF I really loved and talked to the brewer and he also had 5% rye in his grist. with that said I haven't tried anything higher than 5%, might be worth a shot for sure.

i've added 5% rye to my saison and it gives it just a little something extra, I love it. I also tasted a saison at the GABF I really loved and talked to the brewer and he also had 5% rye in his grist. with that said I haven't tried anything higher than 5%, might be worth a shot for sure.

Nothing like recipe advice a year too late ;)

Just brewed a double batch of this today for my friend's first brew. Hit 1.060 on the dot. Only switched from honey to sugar to test for any differences and my hops were slightly higher AA so I should be around 40 IBUs. If it's half as good as last time, it'll be a hit!

Might dry hop with sage, rosemary, or thyme for my half. Does anyone have experience with herbs in this recipe?

I fermented this pretty warm (ambient 70 in a cardboard box so wort was likely in the mid 70s or higher) and hit 1.000 fg. The hydrometer sample was incredible - I highly recommend trying to ferment this on the warmer side if you enjoy more flavor than you're getting with 3711. Ran out of CO2 (leak in regulator) while purging the headspace so I won't be able to try this until next weekend :(

I fermented this pretty warm (ambient 70 in a cardboard box so wort was likely in the mid 70s or higher) and hit 1.000 fg. The hydrometer sample was incredible - I highly recommend trying to ferment this on the warmer side if you enjoy more flavor than you're getting with 3711. Ran out of CO2 (leak in regulator) while purging the headspace so I won't be able to try this until next weekend :(

Cardboard as a fermentation chamber? Might need to try for these winter months ahead, never dawned on me just to throw a box over the bucket and maybe use a heat wrap

Cardboard as a fermentation chamber? Might need to try for these winter months ahead, never dawned on me just to throw a box over the bucket and maybe use a heat wrap

I've always been lucky enough to have adequate temps around the house to not NEED a fermentation chamber. I don't know if/when I'll be moving so I I figured I should have some restraint in my frivolous spending :rolleyes:

The box did a few things for me.. First, I don't have to worry about putting it where the sun might skunk it. Second, it prevents temperature fluctuations - especially if you stuff it with some towels (and want to keep temps up). Third, in case I ever have a really vigorous fermentation, it's a lot easier to throw out a box than clean the floors!

P.S. I'm in Baltimore too!

My basement has been fine for low to mid 60's year round but to maintain around 70 without the use of a heater as eluded me, i try to keep brewing simple

I'm from harco but i use to frequent Maryland Homebrew alot, now i mostly hit up Alecraft in bel air and occasionally Nepenthe

My basement has been fine for low to mid 60's year round but to maintain around 70 without the use of a heater as eluded me, i try to keep brewing simple

I'm from harco but i use to frequent Maryland Homebrew alot, now i mostly hit up Alecraft in bel air and occasionally Nepenthe

+1 on Bmore/MD. I hit up all those stores as well, though just not a part of any clubs

I'm with you on keeping things simple. Basement is mid 60s and main level is 70 in my row home. I don't brew anything that needs to be outside those temps.

Nepenthe is my go-to because I live in the city. The people there are great and prices are very reasonable. I also like their yeast and hop selection more than Maryland Homebrew's but maybe I just went on a bad day.

+1 on Bmore/MD. I hit up all those stores as well, though just not a part of any clubs
CRABS (Heavy Seas), Cross Street Irregulars (Mahaffey's) and Baltibrew (Nepenthe) are all at places I go anyway. Maybe I should join one!

Back on topic:
This new batch is still a little undercarbed but tastes great otherwise! It is a little higher IBUs than I wanted because chilling 10 gallons took much longer than I expected. Since uncarbed samples tend to be more bitter than the beer itself, is it reasonable to extrapolate and say once this is fully carbed that the perceived bitterness will go down? I enjoy it but some of my friends may appreciate a little less aggressive brew.

It seems like there is good information on this page but doesn't help answer my question: https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/z8NACbisww/bitterness/
On one hand, the ionic form of iso-alpha acids is more bitter and is more abundant at higher pH (lower CO2 should be a higher pH beer).. But on the other hand carbonic acid from CO2 can also be perceived as bitter.. So what's the balance?

Also, I'll be using sugar instead of honey from now on in this recipe. I can't tell the difference and it took me down to 1.000 FG.

ISince uncarbed samples tend to be more bitter than the beer itself, is it reasonable to extrapolate and say once this is fully carbed that the perceived bitterness will go down? I enjoy it but some of my friends may appreciate a little less aggressive brew.
But on the other hand carbonic acid from CO2 can also be perceived as bitter.. So what's the balance?

Also, I'll be using sugar instead of honey from now on in this recipe. I can't tell the difference and it took me down to 1.000 FG.

Age it for a while if it is too hoppy when carbed. I have some 1.5 year old bottles that are holding up fantastically and the flavors are really smoothing out. Bottle conditioning seems to impart a very nice complexity.

I used honey in my recipe and the flavor is more apparent after a year when the hops and other stronger flavors have mellowed.

I just ordered some wallonian farmhouse and Saison blend 2 from yeast bay. Will be recreating my last batch next weekend and will enjoy the comparisons between these and the 3711 I used on my first go.

I tell you, nothing better than having my ipa, Chai stout, and a good Saison on tap. Love homebrewing.

I just ordered some wallonian farmhouse and Saison blend 2 from yeast bay. Will be recreating my last batch next weekend and will enjoy the comparisons between these and the 3711 I used on my first go.

I tell you, nothing better than having my ipa, Chai stout, and a good Saison on tap. Love homebrewing.

It's a great feeling when someone says "you brewed this????"

I brewed this recipe with willamete and sorachi ace. the weather was very hot so the temp was about 24º Celsius. It was great but the alcohol was more than I would like. 7,9%. I will try another recipe to reach 6.6%. thank you

Ok, so ive brewed this with 3711, wallonian farmhouse, and saison blend 2 from yeast bay.

3711 came across too wheat beerish.

Wallonian was good, but not much for fruit or spice esters and i fermented warm. Was some funk to it that i didnt care for.

Saison blend 2 was the bomb. Right amount of esters, not a ton of spice but i can supplement that elsewhere. Delicious. The finished beer tasted like Surly Cynic Ale. Not quite the same, must be the hops, but very very close.

Sasion blend 2 is gonna be my go to. Shame i didnt over build the starter, wasnt sure if id really like it

I've brewed this with 3711 for a couple years and just used Omega Saisonstein for this first time this fall. It's awesome. Blend of spice and fruity saison flavors.

I have this in the fermenter right now. The only things I altered were the hop schedule to stay at the IBUs and I had grains of paradise so why not. I'm really looking forward to it.

I've been meaning to brew this for at least a year now; I finally got around to doing it yesterday!

I did a 2 gallon recipe as follows:

3lbs Dingemann's Pilsner
.5lb White Wheat Malt
.2lb Breiss Caramel Munich
.2lb Quaker Oats
6oz Clover Honey

.75oz Fuggles @ First Wort, boil time 30 minutes (28 IBU)
.35oz Fuggles @ Flame out, while the batch cools in the sink (~4 IBU)

I forgot to add the fresh cracked pepper, so I put the .5tsp in a little bit of water and boiled it in the microwave for a few seconds then added it to the fermenter

My gravity came in a little low at 1.052 since I rushed the mash, but thats ok. I don't really need a 7% beer anyway

I had some harvested 3711 slurry and propagated up a starter for this batch. Its happily bubbling away now. I'm excited to try it; waiting for the beer to finish is is the hardest part!

unmalted malt seems contradictory. Do you mean flaked, torrified, or raw wheat? Do you have a link to what you bought?

Oh! And I know the recipe calls for .5oz of Sorachi and .5oz of fuggle for FWA, but could I dump the Fuggle and use only Sorachi for FWA?
Or use a 50/50 Sorachi-Fuggle for all additions?

I feel like this special Hop should be a bit more present...

I'd like to give this Saison a bit more "floral" taste and add late additions + dry hop to it.
I will use the Fuggle as late additions, but anyone has a recommendation as per which kind of hop should be used for dry hop? Something that will compliment the peperry taste that the "Bell Saison" yeast will give?

Just brewed this. subbed candy sugar for honey and crystal 80 for caramunich because I didn't have. Also, forgot the pepper :(

Should be good though still. Excited for this one.

Just brewed the exact recipe except my LHBS din't have wyeast 3711 so I went with WL 565 Belgian Saison yeast. I'm going to take morebeers advice and ramp it up 2 degrees right after brew day from 68 until i reach 85 and hold it there for a few days.

I hit all temps mash temps exact, can't wait!

Just brewed the exact recipe except my LHBS din't have wyeast 3711 so I went with WL 565 Belgian Saison yeast. I'm going to take morebeers advice and ramp it up 2 degrees right after brew day from 68 until i reach 85 and hold it there for a few days.

I hit all temps mash temps exact, can't wait!

My first time brewing this i used 565, turned out great!

For those of you who have brewed this, what is the advantage of using Sorachi and Fuggles specifically as the FWH? I was just going to get the same IBUs out of some Warrior. I feel like using Sorachi as a FWH won't really add any of those characteristic lemon notes as they will be boiled off, no?

Anyone brewed a more sessonable version of this? In the 5% range? My last version went down to 1.002 with belle saison and was over 9% would like to be able to drink a few and not be zonked after 2 bottels. :fro:

Anyone brewed a more sessonable version of this? In the 5% range? My last version went down to 1.002 with belle saison and was over 9% would like to be able to drink a few and not be zonked after 2 bottels. :fro:

I have done this once with this recipe and the same with a couple other Saisons I've made. First thing is drop the honey, if you're using 3711 it will still dry out, this strain will chew it down regardless of having the simple sugars, and I haven't found the honey to contribute anything flavor wise when added in the boil so nothing lost there either. That should drop about 1% ABV off.

If you want to go lower you can do one of two things, I just lowered the amount of 2-Row to get to the ABV I wanted, If you want to keep the recipe the same, you can use beersmith or brewer's friend to play with the percentages of each grain to keep them the same.

I didn't notice much difference when I just dropped the honey and lowered the 2-row, I think the difference mainly came from the lower ABV, maybe slightly less "sweet" from the lower alcohol, otherwise I thought it was very similar taste wise.

I have done this once with this recipe and the same with a couple other Saisons I've made. First thing is drop the honey, if you're using 3711 it will still dry out, this strain will chew it down regardless of having the simple sugars, and I haven't found the honey to contribute anything flavor wise when added in the boil so nothing lost there either. That should drop about 1% ABV off.

If you want to go lower you can do one of two things, I just lowered the amount of 2-Row to get to the ABV I wanted, If you want to keep the recipe the same, you can use beersmith or brewer's friend to play with the percentages of each grain to keep them the same.

I didn't notice much difference when I just dropped the honey and lowered the 2-row, I think the difference mainly came from the lower ABV, maybe slightly less "sweet" from the lower alcohol, otherwise I thought it was very similar taste wise.

Thanks for the feedback. Might give it a go without the honey and then scale everything down to about 1.045 for a 5 to 6% beer.
Don't want to go too low or else it might not be possible to store it for as long before it starts going down hill.

For those of you who have brewed this, what is the advantage of using Sorachi and Fuggles specifically as the FWH? I was just going to get the same IBUs out of some Warrior. I feel like using Sorachi as a FWH won't really add any of those characteristic lemon notes as they will be boiled off, no?

I used Sorachi and found that I get this small peppery/spicy after taste.
It might be because of the small amount of Paradise Seeds I used, but I'll never know ;)

Back