anyone built fermchiller pullng airfrom keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmh75

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a fermentation chiller, similar to the "son of fermentation chiller", except I want to pull cold air from my keg fridge.

My idea was to use 2" pvc with an inline cpu fan, pulling cold air into the fermentation chiller, with a another 2" pvc for "warm" air return. Run the whole thing off of a thermostat. Anyone else done this?

thanks

Todd

sounds interesting... you could just leave the top vented so cold air comes in and its pumping the warm stuff straight out the top.

I designed something like this but have not gotten to building it yet. It is the fermento-lager-taporator link in my sig. I got the idea from the Mother-of-a-fermentaton-chiiler on Wortomatic.com.

t_=125926651

So here is what I have so far. My question is where do you figure I put the cpu fan? There is really not a lot of room to mount it inside the cooler at the bottom, so my options are:

1. Inside cooler "sucking" in cold air from top.

2. Inside keezer "pushing" cold air to the bottome of the cooler.

3. Inside cooler "pushing" cold air to the top of the cooler. (pretty much same as #1.

4. Figure out a way to mount fan at bottom of cooler "sucking" cold air in from keezer.

Looking for ideas/ experience with moving air like this. Currently (no cpu fan installed) the temp of the empty carboy has not changed from being outside the cooler.

Any ideas

I built a foam box instead of a cooler, and both ducts are at the top. (as labeled :D)

The cold air from the keezer is going to sink in that bottom pipe, so I would suggest putting your fan at the top blowing back in. Cold air from the keezer comes in the bottom, warms up, rises, and the fan pushes it back in.

Of course, as long as you get air exchange, it seems to work fine. Even without the fan running my ferm box stays cooler than ambient temp from the cold air leaking through the ducting.

Back