Orchard Fresh Cider...Yum.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breisspastor

Reaction score
Ok, just bought some cider from a local Orchard and looking to make some Alcoholic beverage out of it. Then:
-It is not Pasteurized, What do I do about that?
-What Kind of sugar should I add honey, Brown, Cane, Beat...It would be nice to pack a wallop.
-What kind of yeast- I am thinking a champagne or something....Give me your secrets or best tips for some fresh cider just waiting to Bubble!

Have you measured the gravity of what you have yet?

Depending on the gravity you might like to be a bit more scientific about how much more fermentable sugar you want to add to reach a desired alcohol level.

If you really don't care and just want it to be somewhere between say 8 to 10% ABV, I'd say just add 2-3 pounds sugar and have at it. It might not taste as good as it could, but if you just want to get buzzed on it, go for it.

Cheers!

How will this effect taste? I'm not just looking to get buzzed. I would like to have the best stuff I can. What kind of reading am I looking for the Gravity and how would that effect how much sugar I put it? Thanks For your time.

My last batch was just cider and ale yeast, it is still fermenting but man is it good. The OG was 1.046 so it won't get too strong but it is very drinkable.

If you wanted a stronger version you could go the applfelwein route and add 2lbs dextrose, and use Montrachet or EC-1118 for yeast.

Thanks! DO I have to do anything about pasteurization?
How long until you can start drinking- 6weeks? 2 months? Longer....?

For the most drinkable cider, simply adding yeast to the cider gives you a nice 5-7% ABV drink. You can boost the ABV, and the cider will become more wine-like. I actually make an apple wine out of apple juice/cider and it's great. It's not like cider, though- more like a fruity white wine. It's up to you- both drinks have their place. If you want a more apple-y drink, pure cider is the way to go. If you want a more wine-like drink, add some dextrose to boost the SG up to the 1.070 range (or higher- mines' around 1.095 and finished at 12%)
Just about any yeast you use will have the cider finish dry. It can be sweetened though, after fermentation is over, by either stabilizing and adding sweeteners or by adding unfermentables sweeteners.

I think I will try it without sugar.
IS there any problem with it NOT being pasteurized?

Not a problem, except........the wild yeast and bacteria can take over the fermentation if you don't sulfite it. What I would do is crush and dissolve one campden tablet per gallon in a little hot water, and add that to the cider and stir well. You can just cover it with a dishcloth, it doesn't have to be covered tightly. 12 hours later, add the pectic enzyme (stir well) and 12 hours after that, add the yeast. That will insure that all wild yeast/bacteria aren't given a chance to take hold.

Thanks! DO I have to do anything about pasteurization?
How long until you can start drinking- 6weeks? 2 months? Longer....?

You can use campden tablets to inhibit any yeast that is in there currently. 1 tablet per gallon crushed is the norm. Let that sit for 24 hours then pitch whatever yeast you choose.

I would say at the minimum let it sit for a month, then go from there.

Campton tablets... can I get those at northern brewer? yep I See you can... no need to post. I look forward to drinking... Do you bottle condition like beer by adding more sugar at the bottling stage?

Wouldn't it just be quicker to throw it on the stove?

You don't have to boil it, raise the temp to 180 or so and let it sit at that temp for 15 minutes cool and pitch.

Thats the route I take. Results have been great.

:mug:

Campton tablets... can I get those at northern brewer? yep I See you can... no need to post. I look forward to drinking... Do you bottle condition like beer by adding more sugar at the bottling stage?

Yes, if you want it carbonated you can add some sugar at bottling. I like mine still, so I don't do that.

Since you're on the northern brewer site, make sure you have everything you need- one of the things is some tubing so you can rack (siphon) the cider off of the lees (dead yeast and other sediment) and those bottling wands are really handy to have. Some people swear by the autosiphon, for making siphoning much easier. Also, make sure you have a good sanitizer for any equipment you're using- I like star-san the best but I've used one-step and Iodophor.

I might try the heat... don't like adding things if I don't have to.

I like it bubbly so I will probably carbonate.

Thanks for the list... got all that stuff for brewing my main drink, Beer!

Looks like I got to pick the yeast. What about the Champagne- someone said ale others wine... what's the difference in this application?

Wine yeasts are generally more tolerant of high alcohol levels so if you are adding sugar I would go that route, they will also ferment out a bit drier. I went with Ale yeast and no sugar on my last batch to try and retain some sweetness and apple flavor. So far it is working out well.

What do You think of a High Tapist Belgian yeast and a little bit of a Sugar boast, Like 1 and Half pounds? might be a little sweet at the end Huh?

Back