Fixing contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
So I'm slightly new to brewing and I'm probably about to ask a dumb question, but I need some help since I don't want to dump a full batch down the drain.

I just finished up a Vanilla Porter and think I may have picked up a bacterial contamination. I can't pick out the exact off flavor, but I just know the beer doesn't taste right. I fully sanitized all of my equipment, as well as the Vanilla beans that went into the secondary, so I'm not sure what could have caused it.

I was just curious as to whether or not there was any way of correcting a bacterial infection after the beer was bottled. Like I said, it's more than likely a dumb question, but I needed to get a good answer before I dumped the batch.

Any help would be great.

A few questions for you?

How long ago did you brew? Is this beer bottled yet? Young beer has some weird tastes and could be perfectly fine.

BTW, Welcome to Homebrewtalk.

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's been bottled for about a month and a half. I've sampled one a week (after two weeks of conditioning) and so far it hasn't gotten any better. Although the Cherry Wheat I did two months ago is just starting to come around to where I want it, it seemed to get better each time I sampled it. The Vanilla porter however is not improving which is what has me thinking it could be a contamination.

Back