Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was looking at something to brew to finish the last of these hot days and something drew me back to this recipe and the entire thread.
Thanks to Schlenkerla and his experiments with Amylase Enzyme, I decided this is something I need to try.
If I'm going to be chugging beer by the pitcher with friends I push for the miller light just so I can drink it. So today before work I hit the LHBS and snagged the last bottle of Amylase Enzyme powder, along with the lattest trend on the recipe as well as some rice hulls.
I'm looking forward to a nice dry, clean and crisp ale that fakes you into thinking its a lager. I just hope I can make it to match the expectations I have built up for it.
???
I picked up 1/2 lb of rice hulls, but do I need all of that or could I use 1/4 lb?
I was also thinking about doing a cereal rest for the flaked corn and rice at 133F for around 20 minutes while I heat my water just becuase I usually do that with wheat, and I can only think flaked rice and corn would be much worst.

Well, hopefully tomorrow will be an interesting day.

You can do the stepped mash. It won't hurt, I don't think you need it though. I also think you won't be disappointed with this beer. The amalyse enzyme (AE) dries the beer out really well. It makes the corn flavor virtually non-existant.

I think that's the difference of not using it and using in this beer. I have made this beer twice. Once w/o the AE and the later with it. The 1st one I could taste the corn, very subtle though, but it was a very good drinkable beer. The 2nd time I used it in the mash and 2ndary and I could not tell there was corn in the beer whatsoever.

This beer is an excellent psuedo-lager. :rockin:

Just be sure to mash & boil 90 minutes.

How can I scale this down to a simple 5 gallon batch? Ive tried just halving everything but it comes out to be more than my MLT and my brewpot can hold. Any ideas? Ive looked through the thread but most seem to variations and Id like to recreate this as close to possible.

Take the recipe as it is... (Its a 11.5 gallon recipe)
  1. Divide each of the quantities by 11.5. This will give you the amount per gallon.
  2. Multiply the amount/gal ingredients times how many gallons you want to make.
Its that simple.

Or you can try using this web page, The Beer Recipator 2.2

Just pitched the yeast for this bad boy. I've really been trying to find something my dad (Miller Lite drinker) would like, and this just looked perfect.

Figures that I'd hit my highest efficiency ever (~85%) while trying to make something light and drinkable for once. :D

Question: This is my first time using gelatin so I would like to know how all of you apply it when adding it to your secondary. Sprinkled on top? Dissolved (in hot water or cold)? Mixed in a similar way to priming sugar in a bottling bucket. And if this has been answered before I apologize, I searched but found nothing here on the topic of "how to". Thankx in advance.

Question: This is my first time using gelatin so I would like to know how all of you apply it when adding it to your secondary. Sprinkled on top? Dissolved (in hot water or cold)? Mixed in a similar way to priming sugar in a bottling bucket. And if this has been answered before I apologize, I searched but found nothing here on the topic of "how to". Thankx in advance.

• Mix a tablespoon per 5 gallon batch in 1 cup of cool water.
  • Mix it up thoroughly.
  • Place over medium heat and heat until just about to start boiling. Gelatin will dissolve.
  • Remove and let cool slightly.
  • Add to the bottom of the secondary and rack you beer on top.
  • Give it 4-5 days and the beer should clear substantially.

• Mix a tablespoon per 5 gallon batch in 1 cup of cool water.
  • Mix it up thoroughly.
  • Place over medium heat and heat until just about to start boiling. Gelatin will dissolve.
  • Remove and let cool slightly.
  • Add to the bottom of the secondary and rack you beer on top.
  • Give it 4-5 days and the beer should clear substantially.

So if I already racked to my secondary, can I still add the solution of gelatin to the carboy and stir gently, then purge the carboy with a layer of CO2 to protect the beer? Will the beer still clear using it this way.

Salute! :mug:

Kevin the beer came out great but I think I added a little much rice since it was a bit sweeter than I thought it should be, otherwise it came out really nice. Also the half that I added lime zest to came out great or so my wife says. I added the zest of 4 limes to a 1/4 cup of everclear in a mason jar and let it sit for 3-4 days then strained and added to my bottling bucket and racked my beer on top of that. The end result is a nice light lime based ale that my wife loves.

Heavy on the corn. I brew 5 gallon batchs and mixed the grain bill a bit.

5# 2 Row Pale Malt
5# Flaked Maise
1.75# Parboiled Rice

1 oz Williamette (5.1 alpha)
1 oz Liberty (3.0) sub for crystal

90 minute mash
90 minute boil
(supermoss added at 10 min before flame out)

How do you think this one will turn out? My guess is very smooth. I'm concerned that this may not be the BMC crowd please because the corn smooths out the malt, perhaps too much? Thoughts?

Heavy on the corn. I brew 5 gallon batchs and mixed the grain bill a bit.

5# 2 Row Pale Malt
5# Flaked Maise
1.75# Parboiled Rice

1 oz Williamette (5.1 alpha)
1 oz Liberty (3.0) sub for crystal

90 minute mash
90 minute boil
(supermoss added at 10 min before flame out)

How do you think this one will turn out? My guess is very smooth. I'm concerned that this may not be the BMC crowd please because the corn smooths out the malt, perhaps too much? Thoughts?

Use a max of 33% corn. Don't use just 2-Row. Use 6-row too. You need the extra enzymes from the 6-row to help convert the corn. You will get better efficiency.

SG 1.045 for 5 GAL ~ 75% efficiency

2.68# 33% 6-Row
2.68# 33% 2-Row
2.68# 33% Flaked Corn
0.08# 1% Black Patent for Color :D

Post Edit:I was joking, but I figured out the 1% Black Patent would put you into a Michelob Amber Bock of 7.5 SRM !!!!! (1.28 oz BP = .08#)

Use a max of 33% corn. Don't use just 2-Row. Use 6-row too. You need the extra enzymes from the 6-row to help convert the corn. You will get better efficiency.

33% 6-Row
33% 2-Row
33% Flaked Corn
1% Black Patent for Color :D

I used 6 row on my first two batchs, w/ same ratios and same 1.75# parboiled rice. Just bought a big bag of 2 row. You should have told me about this ratio sooner. I used up all my 6 row. And all my corn. What am I gonna dooooooooo? :D ;)

I used 6 row on my first two batchs, w/ same ratios and same 1.75# parboiled rice. Just bought a big bag of 2 row. You should have told me about this ratio sooner. I used up all my 6 row. And all my corn. What am I gonna dooooooooo? :D ;)

OOOPsss - I edited my post after this one above, go look at my black patent comment!!!

Buy more...

OOOPsss - I edited my post after this one above, go look at my black patent comment!!!

Buy more...

No worries, I got the joke before the edit. Now I have a new question unrelated to this brew, where in this forum do I add it? Newbie section? I find that when I finish brewing I have only 3+ US gallons of brew in the fermenter. What am I doing. I don't recall this being the case when I started brewing. Of course I kept the lid on more then but I'm tired of boil overs so where do I post this question to get some advice on how to end up with a 5 gallon batch?

anyone able to to taste the gelatin when you use it?
Great question, I'm guessing no or BierMuncher wouldn't use it. It does a great job of clearing the S**T out of beer so I sure hope not. Looking forward to trying my first few gelatin cleared batches at the HC Beerfest in Boone, NC this labor day. High Country Beer Fest: Home Page Join us. Join us. Try my Cream Of Three Crops...:rockin:

Here's a pic of mine w/o using anything but IM in the boil,bottle conditioned,after 2weeks in the fridge to let the yeast drop.

100_0613.jpg

I swear I can taste some in my batch, but maybe it is just the first pint or two that will have it near the pick up tube.

Great question, I'm guessing no or BierMuncher wouldn't use it. It does a great job of clearing the S**T out of beer so I sure hope not. Looking forward to trying my first few gelatin cleared batches at the HC Beerfest in Boone, NC this labor day. High Country Beer Fest: Home Page Join us. Join us. Try my Cream Of Three Crops...:rockin:

Just a quick question. To make it Gluten-Free did you just substitute the Sorghum Syrup for the Pale Malt and change the yeast? :mug:

Just a quick question. To make it Gluten-Free did you just substitute the Sorghum Syrup for the Pale Malt and change the yeast? :mug:

I didn't make it Gluten Free. I used the pale malt like everyone else. Using sorghum malt extract will not convert the corn or rice. To brew this beer GF you need sorghum malt rather than the extract syrup. I have had trouble finding any. If you happen to get a line on sorghum malt that you don't have to buy by the metric ton please let me know. :(

SWMBO just came in quite upset from the garage... Only carrying half a glass full. I guess that means it's time to brew this amazing recipe again. Glad I can turn it around in 2-3 weeks!

SWMBO just came in quite upset from the garage... Only carrying half a glass full. I guess that means it's time to brew this amazing recipe again. Glad I can turn it around in 2-3 weeks!

Same here. This has been the go-to beer all summer with neighbors and family. I've been out on the bike too much to brew enough to keep up. I'm going to need to do some back-to-back 10 gallon batches of this.

A crowd pleaser it is.
Last night we blew through 10 gallons of the c-3-c, 5 of a wheat, 5 of oatmeal stout, and 5 of imperial red. The hoof flavor went away, maybe it was all in the bottom? I got so many compliments on the beer. Great recipe and I'l have to brew it a 3rd time. I got better than expected efficiency so it came out to around 7%. My head hurts.

This ale certainly is the crowd pleaser. It lives up to the reputation BM has given it. I served my slightly modified recipe at the HC Beerfest in Boone, NC High Country Beer Fest: Home Page yesterday and this keg was the first to empty at our homebrewer booth. It was great tasting, an awesome clear champaigne look, and everyone loved it. I was truly amazed and somewhat humbled at just how many people were talking about it and requesting it. My variation on the grain bill:

5# 6 row malt
5# flaked corn
1.75# minute rice (store brand)

Like a dummy I didn't think to get a picture of it but it looked just like ginger ale and hand the same kind of fizz that bubbled from the bottom up clearing in the glass to an unbelievably clear beverage. I've got two more in the bucket so I'll try to remember to get a pic of the next batch that goes with me to Oktoberfest in Charlotte, NC.

Truly a crowd pleaser :D.

Overshot my target OG by quite a bit, but it still came out fantastic! Clarity isn't quite where I want it yet...but I did just keg it this afternoon and didn't use any clearing agent other than IM so it'll come along w/ some time.

Thanks again for another awesome recipe BM. I hope my dad enjoys this as much as I do.

Because of the name "Cream of Three Crops" I've been promo'ing this beer as a Cream Ale, but is that the right style? If I were to serve this to my Brew Club and have to accompany it with a style sheet, what style would it be? By the way here is a great site to pull style sheets from:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index

i would definitely serve it as a cream ale. i think technically it's not supposed to have more than about 20% corn adjunct, but who cares, it's close enough for beer drinkin'.

Because of the name "Cream of Three Crops" I've been promo'ing this beer as a Cream Ale, but is that the right style? If I were to serve this to my Brew Club and have to accompany it with a style sheet, what style would it be? By the way here is a great site to pull style sheets from:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index

This recipe was a variation from an earlier "true" cream ale I'd been brewing. Dropping the corn a bit and adding the rice just lightened up the flavor and diminished the hint of DMS. Hence the name cream of three crops.

My latest versions have even a lower grain bill with a pound of table sugar as a sub (for a 10-gallon batch) and it's even lighter.

This recipe was a variation from an earlier "true" cream ale I'd been brewing. Dropping the corn a bit and adding the rice just lightened up the flavor and diminished the hint of DMS. Hence the name cream of three crops.

My latest versions have even a lower grain bill with a pound of table sugar as a sub (for a 10-gallon batch) and it's even lighter.

Awesome, my next batch I will lower the corn back down to your recipe standards to see what Cream of Three Crops really tastes like. I've been heavy on corn, thus the lite ginger ale look of my brewsky but the crowd at HC Beerfest LOVED it. I've got more in the bucket waiting for its turn in the keg. That one will accompany me to Oktoberfest in Charlotte, NC. I'm excited.

I just kegged the basic recipe with a slight modification (Orange Blossom Honey - 1lb) and I am serving it, but it is still cloudy. I wanted to use gelatin prior to kegging, but I was out of homebrew, so I rushed it along.

I like the taste, body and color. I just wish I had waited for the gelatin to get it nice and clear, cause the overall appearance is close to a Belgian Wit, but a bit more clear..

In any case, I will make it again and will be more patient. I think I may drop the Orange Blossom Honey and go with BM's recipe with his most recent modifications to see how it turns out.

I just kegged the basic recipe with a slight modification (Orange Blossom Honey - 1lb) and I am serving it, but it is still cloudy. I wanted to use gelatin prior to kegging, but I was out of homebrew, so I rushed it along......

.....In any case, I will make it again and will be more patient. I think I may drop the Orange Blossom Honey and go with BM's recipe with his most recent modifications to see how it turns out.

I made a light beer with honey, 2 lbs. + 6lbs Pale Malt. Used Notty for yeast. I used no gelatin here!

Give it time, it will clear. This is after 4 days in the fridge on about 10 PSI. FYI - This the Taz beer in my pull down.

Taz_Beer.jpg

Back