Saison Ingredient Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobTrempe

Reaction score
All,
I am going to begin brewing a saison this weekend. Really excited about this one, but had a question regarding ingredients....
I bought some coriander seed and plan on using some orange peel as well. Do I need to crush the coriander seed? Do I need to grate the orange peel or stick the peel in? This may seem like an easy question, but honestly...I do not know. Any help is MUCH appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

your coriander will need to be crushed - i put them in a plastic baggie and used an empty beer bottle to crush 'em - some folks use a hammer or a coffee grinder.

if you are using fresh oranges, i would use the zest only, and you'll want to add these spices about 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

Everything debaniel said is spot on. Just zest the orange - no white stuff. If you bought dried orange peel from the store, good luck. I wouldn't use it.

If you just crush the coriander with a rolling pin or something, you might want to use a tad extra, as you get less less flavor than grinding it up in the coffee grinder, but beware - lots of coriander makes for a not-good-tasting brew.

My last Saison used corriander and orange. I did not crush and for my money it was fine. I do plan on making another with even less adjunct and work the yeast for more of those phenolics.

Listen to the Jamil podcast.

BTW. It looks like we are giving contradictory advice, but really it's a matter of taste and what you hope to accomplish.

You really can't go wrong.

Thanks everyone. This is exactly what I needed to hear, including the contradictory info! It ALL helps.
Bob

Back