First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a Caribou slobber extract kit a week ago.This is what it looks like.
1544421_10152030679561395_2074649135_n.jpg

After starting to go crazy the first 2 days of fermentation it has slowed down. At the moment I have no way of measuring the gravity...so other than that is there any good way to get a sense if it's ready for secondary yet. ( I realize that a hydrometer is my next investment I need to make.) or is it a matter of just let it go the full two weeks and transfer.

Most brewers on here will say that a secondary is unnecessary unless adding fruit or dryhopping in most cases. I plan on skipping the secondary when I resume brewing, as well.

By leaving it in the primary 3-4 weeks, it ensures that the fermentation is complete, plus it gives the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves.

You can always try guessing, and leaving it in the primary (or secondary if you decide to go that route). That's what I did for my first several batches until I broke down and got a hydrometer. But a gravity reading is the way to be completely sure.

Congrats on your first batch. I'm sure you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor, and embrace the obsession.

thank you, was unaware that secondary is unnecessary for most occasions. I'll probably go ahead and do it anyways as it is my first batch and trying to follow directions to a T but that will sure help in the future.

im already looking forward to brewing my next batch in a week... yes, I already got the obsession..

I'd guess that 90% of brewers on here will suggest you skip the secondary.

Your going to love that kit, I've brewed the clone myself a few times, always comes out great. What else do you plan to brew?

Honestly I'm not 100% sure yet..my buddy is going to pick out a kit for us.. I'd guess an ipa of some sort.. then we will venture out and try to create something new and hope for the best

I'm yet to brew a Caribou Slobber, but after seeing so many good reviews, I think it might be one of my first post-deployment brews.

Back