How tight is too tight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jekster

Reaction score
I was playing around with my kegging gear tonight after getting my co2 tank filled. I didn't go in depth, but wanted to see if I could just hand tighten on the regulator and get a seal. It didn't come even close and just spewed co2 whenever I opened up the tank. So, my questions is: Do you have to go to town with a wrench to get these things to seal, or was I just not using enough elbow grease and Teflon tape? I ask because I found when sealing the ball valves on my kettle and mash tun that tighter is not always better. Also, should there be any type of gasket on my regulator? Because it doesn't have one at all and I'm wondering how it's supposed to seal without any type of gasket.

Thanks as always,

-Jek

No teflon!

Stick the fiber or plastic washer in there and use ether a hand tight wheel (which you don't have) or give is some torque with a wrench. You will never get it to seal without a washer no mater how much teflon you waste. it sounds like you are missing the washer/gasket which sits between the tank and regulator.

JimC said:
No teflon!

Stick the fiber or plastic washer in there and use ether a hand tight wheel (which you don't have) or give is some torque with a wrench. You will never get it to seal without a washer no mater how much teflon you waste. it sounds like you are missing the washer/gasket which sits between the tank and regulator.

Yup, that was my suspicion. Now the question is, where can I go to get one? Going to have to do some hunting and searching and see if I can find it. That and I will double check the massive box that all my kegging gear came in. It's totally possible that it fell out and is hiding somewhere among the newspaper and cardboard...

Thanks for the reply man! I figured, from my mash tun experience, that using massive wrenches doesn't usually solve anything...

You can likely also get them at a fire extinguisher place, or where ever you get your C02 fills. If you still cant find any, get a sheet of fiber gasket material from a building or auto supply place and cut one to fit.

They have all manners of rubber washers at the Home Dump (depot) - you can find something temporary until you can get the proper white plastic washer.

I've seen nylon washers at home depot and lowes as well. right material...getting the right size might be a pain though.

+1 for an open end adjustable crescent wrench on the regulator. you don't have to torque it down like a mofo, just snugly.

Back