So many Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jowens

Reaction score
I decided to try a Pale Ale as my second brew. The recipie calls 6lbs of DME. I considering midwestsupplies online and quickly became overwhelmed by the choices of Malt Extract available. From previous posts, I gather I can substitute the cheaper LME at 1.2 to 1.0 of DME, but there is a lot of different brands of LME and DME out there. I also read that the laaglander doesn't ferment out that well, so I would like to avoid it and types like it for this batch. I was looking at the breiss and the Alexanders pale malt. Does anybody see any reason why these would not work fine with a Pale Ale?

homebrewer_99 said:
If you're trying to make a Pale ale then the LME will be too dark.

Go with Munton's Extra Light DME. That's my base malt, except for weizens.:D
I'm curious, does the color actually affect the flavor of the beer, or is it a style thing? How about the clarity? Does that affect the flavor as well?

No, the color is just, well, the color. Same with the clarity- the beer tastes the small regardless. Just for aesthetics, it's nice to have light, clear beer. For dark beers, it doesn't really matter much anyway.

Back