English Porter Atonement Brown Porter (2011 HBT Gold Category 12)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome to hear! I'm really happy that this recipe has been such a hit. My next brew is a slight tweak of this recipe based on a friend's preferences that he wants to try out.

Screwed up my pre-boil hydrometer reading. Ended up with an OG of 1.070.

See how that comes out. I think it now qualifies for the status of imperial stout.

13364405453_4abaa5f2a2_z.jpg

Batch Details: https://github.com/nycresistor/brewery/blob/master/recipes/batch006-porter2.json

I am thinking of cold brewing some blue bottle coffee for secondary. We'll see.

This recipe looks fantastic and I'm going to try my hand at it, most likely at the end of this summer. I've been looking to brew a porter for a while but haven't actively pursued it. I happened to stumble across this recipe from another post about brown malt. I'm glad I did!

Anyway, I am looking at your mash schedule and you list that you sparge with 153F water. I've always spared with 170F water. Is the lower temperature to avoid releasing excess tannins from the darker malt?

Since the mash is already at the proper temperature from the first runnings, I never saw the need to use hotter water than my chosen mash temperature for the sparge. I also do not use a mash out step.

Since the mash is already at the proper temperature from the first runnings, I never saw the need to use hotter water than my chosen mash temperature for the sparge. I also do not use a mash out step.

I also never mash out. I recirculate my mash since I have a HERMS. I will most definitely give this a try, although I am a bit skeptical since it may wreck the efficiency that I'm used to.

I must try this. My first thought was that .6 lb of Black Patent is an awful lot. Do you mash that with the rest of the grain the entire time? I feel like that would add a lot of bitterness. All good though?

Airborneguy - Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

I brewed it sometime in September 9/14. I changed the hop additions accidentally, only adding about 2.5oz of fuggles for the first addition. However, this did not contribute to a significant change IMO.

This beer had intense coffee and chocolate flavors and was SUPER drinkable. I Kegged most of it and bottled a few for again.. yeah, those are gone already! I will be brewing this again and will most likely secondary on some cocoa nibs and possible vanilla.

Thanks again! :mug:

I am thinking of trying this recipe. I am just wondering if you (or anyone else) have tried this with higher AA hops (eg Challenger or Target)? Would adding more bitterness be acceptable here or have a negative effect.

I've made this beer a few times now and I really enjoy it. Here's one striking thing about this beer...

It tastes EXACTLY like Bell's Porter. I mean exactly. This could be reposted as a clone of the beer.

Anyway, that's not very important but what is, is that it's an easy recipe to brew and it tastes delicious. :mug:

Brewing this up right now on the counter top with some heat sticks. It makes brewing almost too easy.

Had to substitute amber malt and Vienna for brown malt as they didn't have any. Not sure how close it will be to the intended but we'll see.

This was my second and fourth brew. Brewed first in 2.5 Gallons and now have a 5 gallon batch in the fermenter. I really love this Porter, it turned out great. Interestingly, I kept a bottle for a couple months and it developed some coffee notes. The latest batch was brewed with yeast from Escarpment Labs (Canadian company). We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the great recipe!

Would like give this a shot but don't have 1028.
What would be the best option from WLP005, WY1318 and WY1098?
I also have some MJ dry yeast M42 and M36.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I plan to brew Atonement for the 3rd time since October 2022. I love this beer. I am substituting amber malt for the brown malt due to it being out of stock at my LHBS. It feels weird to change this recipe, but who knows? Maybe it will be even better.

Back