Greatest Compliment EVER!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
so i am a bit of a hockey nut and SWMBO and i have tickets to the last home game to the UND Fighting Sioux hockey last night.

we are in-line at the beer stand and get a Leinie's Honeyweisse on tap.

SWMBO takes a drink and gets this sour expression on her face and asks if i brought any homebrews. SWMBO perfers my homebrew to commercial beer. :ban: :rockin: :ban: :rockin: :D

Must be doing something right!!

Well, yes. I'm sure your homebrew is better than many of the commercial offerings we see at sporting events.

But Leine's is the suckiest of the beers anyway. Every single one of them is a lager (even the nut brown) and they are among the worst offerings I see. I'd take a Miller way before a Leine's!

Well, yes. I'm sure your homebrew is better than many of the commercial offerings we see at sporting events.

But Leine's is the suckiest of the beers anyway. Every single one of them is a lager (even the nut brown) and they are among the worst offerings I see. I'd take a Miller way before a Leine's!

so what you are saying is that hockeyhunter sucks at brewing?

so what you are saying is that hockeyhunter sucks at brewing?

LOL. Nope. I'm sure it's better than most commercial offerings. I'm sure it's very good, and if I was offered one I'd be honored to have one. I find that many of the homebrews I've had over the years are quite good, and I would always pick one over most commercial beers. I bet hockeyhunter's beers are quite good!

But I have a special dislike for Leine's. :D

I brewed an Irish Stout and gave one to a friend. He says he hates dark beer but the one I gave him was better than anything else he has drank.

IDK,i think Leinenkugel's is way better than BMC. But that's me. That said,yes,HB's should be better. Otherwise,why would we obsess so much?lolz:tank:

so one of the worst compliments I can make is that you aren't a very good speller, OG. It's okay. Not trying to start anything (my attempt at humor)

so one of the worst compliments I can make is that you aren't a very good speller, OG. It's okay. Not trying to start anything (my attempt at humor)

And I thought this was going to be a thread about beer and food pairings.

IDK,i think Leinenkugel's is way better than BMC. But that's me. That said,yes,HB's should be better. Otherwise,why would we obsess so much?lolz:tank:

Very valid point... I think we do obsess over it so much because it does taste WAY better :)

Leinenkugel's i really do enjoy, i do miss their summer wheat. it's not the easiest thing to find on the west coast since i moved though :( but personally, i've never had a bad one (but then again, i've only had like 2 haha)

Are you talkin to me? Eh,i don't see anybody behind me,so ya gotta be talkin to me.lolz HB's referred to Home Brewers.:cross:

yeah, yeah, yeah. i am a mediocre spellre. :D good thing science is my thing and not lanuage arts.

I think the more important point is that OP's wife tasted a beer I'm guessing she sort of liked or tolerated previously and now, after having drunk OP's beer, realizes what good beer actually tastes like.

"Greatest compliments" usually start with clothes flying off.

But I'd take the one you got. My wife doesn't even drink beer.

And Leiny Sunset Wheat is one of the worst beers. We can get it down here in the corner of the country, and I cannot explain why. Not a fan.

+1 for wife not drinking beer.
Or wine for that matter... She wants to know why I can't make something she likes. Amaretto is out, and she can't have ANY of that stuff right now, anyway!

No, she's almost more of a Wisconsin advocate than most Wisconsin people. LOL. She hooked me up with a few beers and they were all Wisconsin and awesome.

I guess that is why I'm so down on Leinie's. Dick Leinenkugel is a decent guy, and I would really like to enjoy their beers. BUT they advertise as this "craft brewery" in a small town and talk about their ownership of this "family brewery". Well, it's all a lie. The sold to Miller back in the 80s, and are wholly owned by Miller, no matter what spin Dick puts on it in his appearances. And the beers are not that good- all lagers, made to be just like the other Miller offerings (notably Coors) to grab a bigger market share. If the beers were great, that would be one thing. But they are macroswill for people who don't know the difference.

There are MANY great Wisconsin beers, and I did send some to Boostr a while back. There are really some wonderful offerings, and it bugs me that people think Leinie's is a Wisconsin beer.

I guess that is why I'm so down on Leinie's. Dick Leinenkugel is a decent guy, and I would really like to enjoy their beers. BUT they advertise as this "craft brewery" in a small town and talk about their ownership of this "family brewery". Well, it's all a lie. The sold to Miller back in the 80s, and are wholly owned by Miller, no matter what spin Dick puts on it in his appearances. And the beers are not that good- all lagers, made to be just like the other Miller offerings (notably Coors) to grab a bigger market share. If the beers were great, that would be one thing. But they are macroswill for people who don't know the difference.

There are MANY great Wisconsin beers, and I did send some to Boostr a while back. There are really some wonderful offerings, and it bugs me that people think Leinie's is a Wisconsin beer.

This just in: Yooper Offended By Dick

One prop to Leiney that is also for Sam Adams is they are a gateway beer. It is the first non BMC (even though it is a BMC owned beer) that many people try, myself included. As you move up the beer food chain and develop your palate, you realize how "thin" they are flavorwise. But they give people a start in finding out about more flavorful beers.

I still enjoy Leiney's red, creamy dark, and 1888 bock. Their nut brown is nasty, as well as the summer offerings. IMO.

My father in law's name is Dick. Took me a long time to call him by his name. Just, Sir'. By the way, my wife's maiden name is Longfellow. Put that one together for a laugh.

And Leiny Sunset Wheat is one of the worst beers. We can get it down here in the corner of the country, and I cannot explain why. Not a fan.

It's better than their other crap - Berry Weisse (wine cooler/cough syrup), Summer Shandy (lemonade beer), Honey Weisse, etc.

Sunset Wheat is still bad though. It's very very sweet...it's very popular with females.

It's better than their other crap - Berry Weisse (wine cooler/cough syrup), Summer Shandy (lemonade beer), Honey Weisse, etc.

Sunset Wheat is still bad though. It's very very sweet...it's very popular with females.

The summer shandy is actually based on a solution a German pub owner/brewer came up with ages ago. He was running low on the light summer beer they drink over there in hot weather. But he did have plenty of this lemon soda sold in Germany.
So,as the story goes,he mixed them and it was a hit. I think the sunset wheat is pretty good for warm weather in the shade,waitin on the bbq pit. But the berry wheat is a lil heavy. I'm going to experiment with a honey blueberry wheat myself. But maybe base it on a hefeweitzen. The paulaner hefe is great.

Nothing to do with the beer here. But have they come up with a replacement name for the Souix yet? I have played several times in that fantastic arena, and it is a shame to have it all changed for political corectness.
I haven't been down in the area for a while now, but last time I was around there, it was going to a public opinion poll, so have they decided yet.

One prop to Leiney that is also for Sam Adams is they are a gateway beer. It is the first non BMC (even though it is a BMC owned beer) that many people try, myself included. As you move up the beer food chain and develop your palate, you realize how "thin" they are flavorwise. But they give people a start in finding out about more flavorful beers.

I still enjoy Leiney's red, creamy dark, and 1888 bock. Their nut brown is nasty, as well as the summer offerings. IMO.

This made me laugh because it brought back memories of pounding down Leinies returnables when I was in college in Minnesota.

If someone could help me with a recipe for Cotton Candy Vodka, I would get a compliment like this as well.

Played in the Barons tourney in GF a number of times, always on the weekend that Souix played the Gophers for the rights to the frozen four. Great times sitting back at Whitey's watching the two states going back and forth after every goal. Wish we had something like that up here. We have the juniors, but no TV coverage, the University stuff is an also ran.

Sunset Wheat is the worst! It tastes like Fruity Pebbles. I don't know of any females who like it, but we have one friend (guy) who has that as his go-to beer. Obviously, he doesn't like beer.

I love college hockey but didn't get to even one game this year. I liked when my daughter was planning on going to Lake Superior State, because they always had good hockey games when we went to them.

The two closest hockey teams, NMU and MTU, are better than no hockey at all but not nearly as exciting as LSSU.

State Legislature is looking to stop the removal of the name. it has passed the state house and will go to the state senate in a few days and then needs to be signed by the Gov.

The State Bill says that no party (Higher Board, NCAA, Sioux Nation, Etc.) can force the school to change the name. If they do, the state can pass a class-action lawsuit against the party.

And i have tickets to the Frozen Four in St. Paul this year. I am excited. don't care if the Sioux make it or not, i am also an Irish fan

Sunset Wheat is the worst! It tastes like Fruity Pebbles. I don't know of any females who like it, but we have one friend (guy) who has that as his go-to beer. Obviously, he doesn't like beer.

I love college hockey but didn't get to even one game this year. I liked when my daughter was planning on going to Lake Superior State, because they always had good hockey games when we went to them.

The two closest hockey teams, NMU and MTU, are better than no hockey at all but not nearly as exciting as LSSU.

LSSU is a shadow of what they once were! I went to a couple of Ferris State games this year. I love college hockey, especially in person. But I liked watching some of the other CCHA games this year on TV. They need to air more of them!

And yeah, except for Creamy Dark, I'm not a Leiney fan either. I've tried enough of them to know I don't want to try the rest... The last one I had tasted like thin fruit vomit...

Back