Keggle Down Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolmaster

Reaction score
Does a down-tube need to be used with a pump? (by down-tube I mean a copper tube than bends down below where the fitting comes into the pot, so that fluid below the fitting can be removed.) I put one in a keggle a just made and it did not drain the water all the way down.
I thought that maybe the suction from the water above it would continue to draw the water level down. Do I need a pump to remove the rest of the liquid in the keggle? Would a section of hose on the outside of the valve, with a small drop create the suction needed to keep the flow going?

Thanks,
School Master

You don't necessarily need a pump, but you do need to connect a length of tubing in order to maintain a good syphon. As long as the end of that tube is below the outlet of your keggle, it will siphon until the liquid is below your pick-up tube (the "down tube") inside your keggle.

Back