Mail-order Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot99

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. Been a homebrewer for about 11 years; brewing all-grain 10 gallon batches.

I have a question regarding ordering yeast over the Internet. Being a huge fan of Rogue beers, I want to get my hands on the Wyeast/Rogue Pacman strain before it's gone, but I'm not sure if I can get it locally (haven't looked yet).

How successful have other members in this forum been with mail-order yeast? Any recommended online homebrew shops that do a good job shipping yeast?
What delivery method was used?

I'm not anticipating too many issues; ordering it with an ice pack and shipping in the cool months will help - I just don't trust shipping companies too well. Last thing I need is to be out $20.

TIA

I've never had a problem, but I've also never ordered liquid yeast in the summer. Seems just about every web company uses UPS.

Heck yeah, i ordered some yeast just last week with an icepak from Austin Homebrew Supply and when i got it 2 days after it shipped, the pack was still cold and so was the yeast.

I've had pretty good luck with it, I've always gotten the ice pack from AHS and it is usually totally water by the time I get the package seeing as how I'm in the Northeast (also, it sometimes takes me a day to pick up the package meaning another 24 hours out of the fridge). I've just done my third brew using mail order yeast and after making a starter have had less than 24 hours lag time all 3 times.

yeast is tough, you'll be fine. My wife ordered me a kit last summer, no ice pack for the liquid yeast, and left it in her car for 2 weeks in august. Beer turned out fine, although it took 6 days for the smack pack to swell...

Latest posts

Back