just racked my cider...is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
Well, it had been in the primary for eight days. Racked it, *strong* sulfur smell. I think this was probably from the campden tablets - I used five of them. It's now in the secondary, how long do you think it will take to go away?

Also, it's a lot drier than I expected (or have had...it ain't hornsbys!) I used a champagne yeast...now, did I make cider, or apple wine?

Give it 3-4 months & it should be ok. You've got cider. Ciders tend to ferment out completely. If you want it sweeter, add some apple juice concentrate.

well i'm still pretty new to this, but sulphur smell in cider is completely normal.
just give it time and it will go away =)

david_42 said:
Give it 3-4 months & it should be ok. You've got cider. Ciders tend to ferment out completely. If you want it sweeter, add some apple juice concentrate.

You know, I already knew this was the answer, I just needed to hear it from someone else. Four months is a long time to wait to find out without some reassurance! Thanks!

:mug:

david_42 said:

don't you have to sorbate/campden tablet before adding the concentrate??
i am going to start a cider this weekend and want to be prepared

rod said:
don't you have to sorbate/campden tablet before adding the concentrate??
i am going to start a cider this weekend and want to be prepared

You add the campden tablets 24 hours before pitching the yeast. If you add concentrate after this, it's just extra fermentables.

If you want it to stay sweet, you would add the campden tablets, wait for them to kill the yeast, and then add the concentrate. Of course, I'm not sure how you would carbonate it if you went that route.

yeah - i guess to get a sweet naturally carbonated cider you would have to use lactose as it wouldn't ferment.
unless you can keg, you couldn't sorbate/campden the finished product and add more concentrate for the sweetness and get carbonation.

rod said:
yeah - i guess to get a sweet naturally carbonated cider you would have to use lactose as it wouldn't ferment.
unless you can keg, you couldn't sorbate/campden the finished product and add more concentrate for the sweetness and get carbonation.

Well I suppose you could use an ale yeast and end up with a sweeter cider, I don't know if that would ferment out completely like champagne.

Just order the carbonating drops. They dont work off of the yeast from what I have been told. Then you should get the best of both worlds.

If you kill your yeast, the carbo drops won't work.

;)

Of course, there is always still cider...:drunk:

Also, you could add a touch of concentrate or dexrose and some neutral yeast to bottle carb if you "must" (har...) have it carbed.....or just use ale yeast instead of champagne yeast to begin with to not ferment it as dry.

:cross:

Latest posts

Back