wyeast vs white labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutrvr32208

Reaction score
I just got back from my HBS, I would like to know if anyone has had the same issue I just had. When I asked for Wyeast 1056 he said they dont carry smack packs any longer. He stated "no one was buying them". Wyeast would expire and had to be thrown away. I was a little disappointed. Is White labs the better liquid yeast? If so, they just cornered the market on my side of town...

They're both equally excellent yeast manufacturers. You can't go wrong with either.

Both of my LHBS carry Wyeast, so I haven't run into this problem. You could always buy Wyeast from online suppliers if you still want to go with them, but you'll still be happy if you go with White Labs.

-Steve

Personally I like Wyeast better because the White labs don't seem to start for me very well even if I make a starter. All other things being equal I'm sure the White Labs yeast is equally as good, but since I have trouble getting it to start fermentation I stick with Wyeast.

They are both great yeast labs...sometimes the small LHBS can't or won't carry Wyeast because they make you order a large quantity and it may be hard for them to move the Wyeast quickly enough before it expires.

Back