So when you draw from your keg for the first time that day/night...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
do you draw off all the in-line beer first into your drip tray/other vessel or do you go straight for it into your glass? It hurts me to think about how much I'm currently losing when drawing off the beer in the line.

I used to pour it into a container, but then I realized how much I was wasting. The beer in the line is at the same temp as the rest of it, no reason in my mind to waste it.

carbonation is the only reason I can think of

Why wouldn't the beer stay carbonated in-line?

Honestly, I have just never heard of the possibility. I am not saying it doesn't exist but, just doesn't seem logical in a closed system.

I could understand drawing off if the lines weren't chilled.

I think part of the reason I started doing it was people mentioning an offtaste from the beer sitting in the plastic line. After awhile I realized that I wasn't getting an offtaste and I was wasting good beer.

My calcs with 12' of 3/16" ID line came out to about 2-3oz. It goes right into the glass with the rest of it, but with a slightly less agressive pour...
If you always draw off the "line beer" and say you have 3 pints/night your keg lasts about 16-17 days. Over that time you'll waste over 30oz of beer. That's a shame...

I think part of the reason I started doing it was people mentioning an offtaste from the beer sitting in the plastic line. After awhile I realized that I wasn't getting an offtaste and I was wasting good beer.

I have heard that too. And those who complained about that personally had poor line cleaning habits or were using some funky lines.

I did this and it made the keg go way to quick. I was getting an off flavor. Thought it was from line temps or the line itself. Well my last two kegs (a Fat Tire clone and my current Wit) I'm drawing everything straight into the glass. No off flavors. It may have been the lines finally being "broke in". All flavor that would come off has came off? I don't know. But my very light Wit shows no off flavors.

When I had brand new lines, there was a bit of plastic taste for the first few days of use. I would pour the first ounce or so into a container just to flush the lines. But now I just pour into the glass unless the beer has been sitting in the line for days.

Back