How much have you changed brewery names?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiriusStarr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure this is the best spot on the forums, but it is next to the venerable Brewery Names thread, so it seems as good as any.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if you've changed your brewery name over the months/years/decades and why (if you feel like sharing). I've already changed once (first was just playing around and thus silly) and I'm considering changing again, since I'm feeling hampered by a lack of good names (as evidenced by all of the "unnamed" beers in my signature). I'm currently Celestial Brewing Co. but am considering changing to Bifrost Brewing Co. (not the Avengers one, since that's what everyone says...).

Cheers!

Yep:
  • 1996-~2004: Pineridge Brewery (don't live there anymore/too generic)
  • 2005-2008: Didn't bother with a name, just made a lot of beer
  • 2008-2011: Small Box Brewery (don't live in a small box anymore)
  • 2011-2012: went through a few
  • _____-Helicase Brewery (too nerdy & my wife wasn't a fan of the tag-line - "unzipping genes since 1996")
  • _____-Drunk Prof Brewery (decided it would be a better name for a barley wine)
  • Now: Sui Generis Brewing

Bryan

PS: The helicase tag-line only makes sense if you know what a helicase is. Its an enzyme that "unwinds" DNA. I did have a kick-ass logo though:
Helicase%2520Brewery.png

Oh sure, the one time I remeber to explain the name, the person I'm 'splainin it too knows what it is.

Thats life :smack:

"Changed" my brewery name twice, all based on my name. I say "changed" because the first I used for a week or so, the second a couple of days, and it's been as is since then. My logo (that my friend made) stayed the same, besides the name.

We've changed out brewery name three times.

2009-2011 - our first name, kind of vulgar, (we were in college), i secretly still really like it
2011-2012 - we ran an interim name that we knew we wouldn't stick with, we told people that it was temporary.
2013 - We've got our final name but haven't unleashed it yet (it actually changed 2 weeks ago), it may change again in the next month before we release (to our family and friends)

I find that everybody (who doesn't brew) wants to name your brewery for you....VERY annoying.

Every person I talk to about brewing only wants to know:

1. Do you only make "dark beers"?
2. What is your brewery named / do you have a logo?
3. What clever/creative names I've given to the beers.

To which I tell them there is no such beer style as a "dark beer" and explain I could just as easily add caramel coloring to a Coors Light to make it "dark". And I don't have a name because I am basically the only one who drinks my beer. And to really stir the pot I name by beers by batch # and style/revision number. E.g. #034 DIPA/2. Once the artistic element is gone most people are turned off and it puts an end to that conversation in a hurry. If they care about making beer though it usually turns into a long conversation about how to make it, which is the conversation I prefer to have anyways.

Changed once..

Previous.. Old Dark Tower Brewery. It was okay, used a German castle guard tower as the logo.

Changed late last year to.. TransGalactic Brewing. Much more me... I admit it, I'm a geek. It lets me poke fun at all things SciFi or Astronomical and fit it in nicely. First beer under TGB was Scoundrel's Dark.. Lando Calrissian as the label centerpeice. and Binary Dwarf Star is the second.

Back