Setting Carboy directly on ground not safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.... do I need to be worried as I have 3 carboys on the FLOOR getting the life juices sucked out of them.

I KNEW IT ! There was something I was forgetting to worry about.

I HATE this hobby.

If you replace the word "energy" with "heat" then it makes sense. This is the same reason campers use a sleeping pad to insulate their bodies from the ground.

However, I never have the issue of wanting my beer to be warmer while it ferments... At least where I live.

Apparently your LHBS guy is on the ball with the particle physics community! I have heard of such metaphysical evidence or neutrinos causing beer to become skunked or even causing stuck fermentations, but I thought it was just me.

This reminds me of some case I saw on TV where a disturbed individual didn't like his neighbors and set forth to use a self made microwave gun that he sat underneath their porch. Maybe the LHBS is suggesting people have their own particle accelerator to sabotage everyone's homebrew:mad::D

its true to an extinct.

Google "Bionic band"

here is the test I preformed.

I stood on one leg with my arms out to my side to balance.
I was told to not let the big 6' guy push down to knock me out of balance(needless to say I fell over trying my hardest not to let him)

he then gave me the bionic band to hold on to in my left hand and he said ok lets do it again.

this time around I was rock solid, I wasn't budging.

now I am not sure how much truth there is to it, but I kid you not it was the weirdest feeling ever.

he also says that if your at the beach or lake and just have your feel in the water you are grounded and essentially the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-bTt3C89Q

-=Jason=-

Actually Bro, I was teaching this back in the day when I was leading Mythopoetic Men's Retreats with folks like Robert Bly.

I was taught it by John Denver's Akido instructor or some such before he died.

It's more about the power of your mind and where you focus your attention than with the "earth" or anything like that. When you ground you're really using you mind to center into your core....

So unless our carboy's have minds then I don't think it's a good analogy.

(Unless the krausen starts forming into a BRAAAAAIIIIINNNNNNNNN!!!)

Kiwi_Wit_4.JPG

Then it can bend the spoon and ****. ;)

Ok, either I've had too many beers tonight or this threads just freakin' crazy! I goota go find some wood to sit on...

Ok, either I've had too many beers tonight or this threads just freakin' crazy! I goota go find some wood to sit on...

DOOD, then you better do this....

tinfoil.jpg

You wanna really protect your johnson controls...you don't want to come in contact with the vampiric ground or you might end up a eunuch

;)

This is funny because both my carboys are already in milk crates on wood planks. I'm not worried about any energy except for heat. The floor is cold and need to keep the carboys warmer.

Did he also have wood planks on sale specifically designed to protect the carboy from the earth's energy sucking ability (EESA)? $10 per plank would be a score! Maybe we could do a group buy.

JRems said:
This is funny because both my carboys are already in milk crates on wood planks. I'm not worried about any energy except for heat. The floor is cold and need to keep the carboys warmer.

And my clean sanitized carboys are wearing their foil hats so I'm double covered...lol

Revvy said:
I found it on the web...But you know those concrete geese people have on their porches that old ladies like to dress for every season????

I think I might start.......;)

Bahahaha.. Use it to keep the yeast killing powers at bay....:)

Man thats some good info....

I think i will experiment as a good alternative to cold crashing. Just remove the plank and earth energy will do the job.

Perfect as my fridge have no place to cold crash because of a keg and all my yeast.

I found it on the web...But you know those concrete geese people have on their porches that old ladies like to dress for every season????

Only old ladies have them... hang on I'll be back I gotta run out to the porch for a sec.

Hail to the victors valient! Actually that's a great disguise so the earth won't know it's a carboy and therefore won't suck the energy out.

Ok, I hate hippies. Stupid grrrrrrr makes me so frustrated.

Enough! Deep breaths Cartman...

I throw this in the bin with magnetic bracelets, homeopathy, raw food diets and ether science as stuff that I wish I'd never heard of.

I've been told before not to set a car battery directly on the ground, as it will drain the charge.

A carboy though? I bet that guy has some real entertainment value.
That must be it! Somebody told this guy not to put a "CaCar battery" on the ground and he heard "Carboy":mug:

This comes from leaving car batteries on the concrete. Supposedly if you leave a car battery on a concrete surface for an extended length of time, the concrete will act literally as a "ground", complete the batteries circuit and actually drain the battery.

It's a fairly well circulated rule of thumb in the mechanics' circle and is mostly believed to be true. Some research indicates that it was really only a problem when batteries' cases were made of rubber instead of plastic, since the electrolyte could actually penetrate the rubber and "seep"(for lack of a better term) into the ground.

Interesting that someone has adapted it (sort of) to the beer world though! :fro:

Al Gore told me that carboys cause global warming , scratch that, climate change, and that I now must buy carbon credits from his company to make up for my crimes against his mother.. cause my carboys are using earths energy and creating CO2 while they do it.. And Michell says my carboys have too many calories and my portions are too big!

Somebody should regulate this!
Good thing I'm already poor!
:mug:

I'm gonna use this thread as my new ABV calculator.. Read it before and after partaking of my delicious home brew and record the difference...

r8rphan said:
Al Gore told me that carboys cause global warming , scratch that, climate change, and that I now must buy carbon credits from his company to make up for my crimes against his mother.. cause my carboys are using earths energy and creating CO2 while they do it.. And Michell says my carboys have too many calories and my portions are too big!

Somebody should regulate this!
Good thing I'm already poor!
:mug:

Don't even try to compare to the beef/meat industry but I think it's all good cause then I couldn't get my CO2 tank refilled....

I need to jump on the bandwagon.. I think I'll start collecting CO2 by shoving tubes up cows asses, and selling it as earth friendly CO2 for beer.. Hey, beer makes you fart anyways, right..

Wait, that was methane I think... not CO2.. Oh well.. I'll refill cigarette lighters then.. That way, as smokers are polluting the earth, they can balance it out by saving the earth by using recycled cow farts to light their cigarettes... I bet the guy at the LHBS will buy some.. He can light his peace pipe with it...

I can set up a booth at burning man..

Maybe I'll get a nobel prize or something.. Can't wait till this stock goes public...... Easy street, here I come!

Woo who!
:ban::ban:

Has anyone else heard about the Earths ability to draw energy from an object that is in direct contact with the ground before? My local brew shop owner suggests placing your fermenters on wood planks or some other item in order to separate the fermenter from the ground. He claims that the earth naturally draws energy into itself and it will draw energy from anything in contact with the ground. The wood planks are to separate the fermenter and earth and this will keep your yeast safe and active during fermentation. Anyone else do this/hear about this before? Or is my brew store owner crazy?

The explanation is crazy but those suggesting that he is talking about heat are probably right on the money. Before I had a fermentation chamber I used the concrete floor in my basement to help control my fermentation temperature. You can use this too good effect under the correct circumstances. "He claims that the earth naturally draws energy into itself and it will draw energy from anything in contact with the ground." Actually, drop an ice cube on your basement floor and energy is more likely to go from the ground to the cube. I'm sure he just had trouble properly understanding Steven Hawkins speech synthesizer while he was attending Cambridge University. :rockin:

The only thing even remotely similar to this that I know of is the fact that if you sit a car battery on concrete it will lose it's charge. I however am no hippie.

AHA!!!! i knew better!!! i always keep my boys... car, truck, or any other kind... above ground. that water gets cold and deep

That was common myth regarding car batterys as well...in fact a warm battery will have more bower than a cold battery and putting a battery on wood insulates it from the cold. Here is another battery tid bit, if it is reeeaaly cold out and your car turns over slow....bring it in the house and put it by the heater for an hour....it will bring new life to a cold battery, doesn`t work if it is dead though, hehe!

VB

Ok, I hate hippies. Stupid grrrrrrr makes me so frustrated.

Enough! Deep breaths Cartman...

I throw this in the bin with magnetic bracelets, homeopathy, raw food diets and ether science as stuff that I wish I'd never heard of.

You don't like sushi?

Latest posts

Back