Full Boil Question (Noob)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhegarty

Reaction score
So I ordered a mini mash kit from AHS and asked them to include full boil instructions as well as partial boil instructions kit. As expected, there were no full boil instructions. How should the following recipe be altered for a full boil?

Steep the following in 2 1/2 gallons at 155 degrees for 45 mins
3/4lb Crystal 40L
2 1/2 2-Row

Add the following and boil for 60 minutes.
5lb Extra Pale Ale Extract
1lb Light DME

1oz Galena - 60 minutes (bittering)
1oz Tettnang - 15 minutes (flavor)
1oz Tettnang - 5 minutes (aroma)

California Ale Yeast WYP001 (Liquid)

Thank You

Well - I have just been doing every thing normal with great results - if you want to get picky you COULD ease off on the 60 min hops to maybe 3/4 or 4/5 of an ounce but - heck - it's an IPA - I doubt you will really see much of a difference.

BTW - they mention you can toss in maybe a 1/2 cup of DME in your mash to help the PH. Not sure if it helps THAT much but then mentioned in to me once.

I don't think they have full boil instructions.

I'm guessing this is already set up for doing full boils. If I plug your grains/extract/13% AA Galena/4.5% AA Tettnang into beersmith and set your boil volume to 6 gallons (5 gallon final volume), I get 56.1 IBUs which is within the 40-65 IBU range for American IPA.

If I plug your grains and extract into a 2.5 gallon boil (5 gallon final volume), I get only 30.4 IBUs.

This is because the higher the sugar concentration of the wort the less it is able to absorb the bittering compounds from the hops. A 6 gallon boil with the above ingredients has a specific gravity of ~1.049 (i've assumed 60% efficiency for your partial mash). A 2.5 gallon boil would have an SG of ~1.117.

The equations for this can be found in How to Brew chapter 5.5

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hop Bittering Calculations

Anyway, I would recommend bringing your boil up to ~6 gallons after the partial mash aiming to boil down to ~5 gallons after the boil.

Hope this makes any sense. HBT powers that be please set us straight if I'm way off.

Addendum,

Of course this is assuming adding the extract from the beginning of the boil. If you are doing late extract additions (as many here would recommend), your hop utilization would be better and you'd have to recalculate.

1.049 is the pre-boil gravity at 6 gallons

after the boil down to 5 gallons this will give you a pre-fermentation gravity at 1.059

1.049 = 49 points per gallon * 6 gallons = 294 points
294 points in 5 gallons = ~59 points per gallon = 1.059

Yes by about 20%. All of AHS recipes are for a partial boil. Not the later hops just the bittering.

There is a post with a list of 100 reasons you are no longer a noob brewer.

31. You know what the calculations are.
32. You know how to do the calculations.
33. You know you don't need to do the calculations to make great beer.

I went to full boils and instead of having a left over 1/5 oz of hops I just dumped them in and the beer tastes great. So the absolute correct way is to reduce the bittering hops.

In a malty beer I would - IPA? I see no reason to worry.

So i was considering using the remaining bittering hops for dry hopping later in the secondary. Is that enough for dry hopping or would I need more than that 1/4oz to do any good?

I'm guessing this is already set up for doing full boils. If I plug your grains/extract/13% AA Galena/4.5% AA Tettnang into beersmith and set your boil volume to 6 gallons (5 gallon final volume), I get 56.1 IBUs which is within the 40-65 IBU range for American IPA.

If I plug your grains and extract into a 2.5 gallon boil (5 gallon final volume), I get only 30.4 IBUs.

This is because the higher the sugar concentration of the wort the less it is able to absorb the bittering compounds from the hops. A 6 gallon boil with the above ingredients has a specific gravity of ~1.049 (i've assumed 60% efficiency for your partial mash). A 2.5 gallon boil would have an SG of ~1.117.

The equations for this can be found in How to Brew chapter 5.5

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hop Bittering Calculations

Anyway, I would recommend bringing your boil up to ~6 gallons after the partial mash aiming to boil down to ~5 gallons after the boil.

Hope this makes any sense. HBT powers that be please set us straight if I'm way off.

Well, the interesting thing is that Palmer now seems to think that his original calculations for IBU uptake as a function of wort gravity aren't entirely right. Basic Brewing Radio had an interesting interview with Palmer, where he talks a lot about what is really going on with IBU calculations:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-20-08ibu.mp3

I'm a bit stumped as to what it all means, but I wouldn't put too much stock in any brewing software's scaling of IBU's to wort gravity at this point, since they are almost all based on Palmer's original data.

Thanks to Revvy, for pointing this out in another HBT thread a while back.

Back