pasteurised cider ferment with no yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aja1983

Reaction score
I put 5 gallons of pasteurized whole foods cider 5 tsp yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme. That has been in there for a week. Today I went down to to pitch yeast and sugar and its already bubbling away. Is it fermenting on its own, or are the enzyme and nutrients just bubbling.

Sounds like either wild yeast or the yeast cells in the nutrient weren't completely dead. From what I have read, nutrient is mostly old dead yeast cells. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the quick response. That's realy interesting about the yeast nutrient. Well I am planning on adding my sugar and yeast tonight. Is this juice spoiled now? I had it air tight for the whole week.

A week is a long time to wait to pitch yeast. Some wild yeast found their way in somehow. I'd go ahead and add your sugar and pitch your yeast. Only time will tell the results.....likely you will be fine.

Back