Question on infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcrowley269

Reaction score
Brewed a honey blond last week. I used washed yeast from my last batch of brew as they both called for wlp051. It seemed to ferment way to fast, like less than 2 days, so I opened the bucket and pitched more, only 1 more night. I decided to move the first batch to keg and the honey blonde to glass. When I opened the bucket it smelled funny, had a weird after taste. and had a very light film on the top. I have it in glass and plan to leave there a week or two. I was wondering, after looking at pics of infected beer, if mine is truly infected will it start to grow the infection in 1-2 weeks?

Usually not that quick but maybe. If you pitched on the whole cake (or partial or really any size of fresh yeast) it will ferment fast. Alotta times yeasty beer can be mistaken for infected beer. Do you have a pic?

How's the first batch tasting/looking?

I didn't get a pic...need to remember to, will to much yeast mess up a brew, like make it sour or smell sour? It was a very light film, not even 3/4 wide on the bucket. Just smelled sour, figured the taste may be because it was young.

Mrcrowley269 said:
I didn't get a pic...need to remember to, will to much yeast mess up a brew, like make it sour or smell sour? It was a very light film, not even 3/4 wide on the bucket. Just smelled sour, figured the taste may be because it was young. If there is an infection, how long does it take before it stars showing.?

Latest posts

Back