can you double check my list for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I'm still a novice with kegging, even though I've just bought a bunch of what I need to get started. Here's what I have:
6 kegs, ball lock
co2 tank/regulator,
5 way gas line splitter
ball lock liquid out + hose + picnic tap X2,
ball lock gas in + hose X2
chest freezer w/ johnson controller.

Now I want to convert freezer into a collared keezer, with 4 taps coming through collar (expandable to 6). Strictly speaking about the kegging/dispensing side of things (in other words, not involving the keezer build itself) could a couple of people could look over this and confirm it's all there? I don't want any delays once I start putting on faucets and hosing because of missing pieces.

For each individual tap, I need:
gas hose, gas in QD, hose clamps.
liquid out QD, liquid hose (w/clamps), shank, nut, tailpiece, washer, faucet, tap handle.

Is that it? Assuming all stainless, w/perlick 425's, ~3" shank, and cheapo tap handles, how much should each tap set be, I'm getting about $80 +tax and/or shipping? is that right? anybody know who has the best bottom dollar online?

for gas hose, how long is good? just long enough to reach plus 1' maybe? for liquid hose, should I figure 10'?

anything else I should know that isn't obvious by a novice kegger?

If you're going all out you should get a regulator with two or even three output pressures. One or two for dispensing and one for carbonating kegs that are on deck. Some people like dispensing different beers at different carbonation levels. This can't be done without multiple pressures.

If you want to serve 6 kegs at once, you'll need at least a 6-output manifold. But you should get a manifold with a few extra outputs, for carbonating those on deck kegs.

Not sure why you need the picnic taps if you're getting real faucets. I guess they couldn't hurt.

I like clear gas lines so you can see inside them. My gas lines are really long, like 5', and it's a pain. They don't need to be any longer than they need to be to reach the kegs, plus maybe a little slack - I think you're on the right track.

There are calculators for dispense hose length. It's based on serving pressure and hose ID. I can never find them any more. I think I have 3/16" that's 6' long for 12 PSI.

Way to go!

Oh and make sure you get plenty of hose clamps. It's easy to run out of them.

best price I've seen for the perlick 425s is from farmhousebrewingsupply.com They also have great prices on shank and tailpieces. basically everything you need.

If you're going all out you should get a regulator with two or even three output pressures. One or two for dispensing and one for carbonating kegs that are on deck.
I thought about it at first, but decided against it. I may get one extra one.

Not sure why you need the picnic taps if you're getting real faucets. I guess they couldn't hurt.
I got my first two kegs a bit back, so I've needed something in the time being to dispense them. They'll come in handy, as I may end up frequently taking kegs with me to parties.

There are calculators for dispense hose length. It's based on serving pressure and hose ID. I can never find them any more. I think I have 3/16" that's 6' long for 12 PSI.

You know I saw this, and was wondering if people actually did this. The basis was, regulator should be set to style, not by dispensing pressure. length of hose makes up how many PSI below style you want to dispense. That seems a pain, you'd need a dif. regulator for every beer, and when you bring a new beer on deck, you may need a specific length of hose. I guess people dumb it down a bit?
Here is the PDF to that, it has the calculations you referred to.

Draught Beer Quality Manual

Wow I haven't seen that draught beer quality manual. Awesome, but I don't have time to read the whole thing right now.

Serving pressure should equal the pressure required for your volumes of CO2 at your temperature. I would dumb it down. If you have two pressures then you have low and high. But with only a single regulator, all your beers on tap have the same carbonation. It isn't normally much of an issue for me, but it would be nice to be able to carbonate soda, or anything other than the ~2.4 volumes that 12 PSI at 40F gets you.

To clarify on the purpose of long lines, there's a pressure drop through the line from the keg to the tap. You want to be basically down to atmospheric pressure at the point it comes out of the tap. So in my case, I want my lines to cause 12 PSI of pressure drop. Thus the calculations based on hose ID.

Seems like that manual probably should cover way more than I know. But I hope I've helped.

Back