Temp. Control and Freezer: To drill or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpatton

Reaction score
Hello, I've seen quite a few mentions of using a fridge or freezer with a separate temperature controller to keep fermentation temperature consistent and at the desired temperature. It sounds like most people drill a hole in the freezer to put the temp sensor itself through, but is there any reason not to just run it between the lid and the box? That leaves a tiny gap with the rubber seal, but it is pretty small.

Thanks,
Rob

Hello, I've seen quite a few mentions of using a fridge or freezer with a separate temperature controller to keep fermentation temperature consistent and at the desired temperature. It sounds like most people drill a hole in the freezer to put the temp sensor itself through, but is there any reason not to just run it between the lid and the box? That leaves a tiny gap with the rubber seal, but it is pretty small.

Thanks,
Rob

It would work. Most people drill a hole because it looks a little nicer than having a wire just draped in the unit. But it shouldn't pinch the wire and it shouldn't cause any significant cooling loss.

Just a note (at least with the probe that comes with the a419) That little gap will allow condensation to form. Humid air can then get in etc. I just deal with it. Some use drying products.

I just run mine through the door. This way when i want to ferment a belgian that needs to get hot I just just take it out and hook it up to a thermowell with a heat fermwrap. Well that is my plan anyways.

Back