Bottling Day disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babylon

Reaction score
So my Irish stout was ready to bottle, I had some questions about the amount of priming sugar to use, ended up going low since I'd rather have undercarbed beer than bottle bombs. Then I discovered the real problem. Champagne bottles, Chimay bottles, and Lindemans Labimc have a larger top than beer bottles, and the caps I have don't fit on them. I ended up putting beer in a 2 liter and a couple of 1 liter plastic bottles that I sterilized real quick. Not an awful thing yet, the problem is all I have for my next batch is champagne bottles. Are there bigger caps that will work on them? They are Californian Spumante.

I think I've seen champagne bottle caps somewhere before. Google it, I'm sure you'll find something. Otherwise, you could cork it. I rent a corker from my LHBS whenever I do wines. Costs about 8 bucks for a day.

So my Irish stout was ready to bottle, I had some questions about the amount of priming sugar to use, ended up going low since I'd rather have undercarbed beer than bottle bombs. Then I discovered the real problem. Champagne bottles, Chimay bottles, and Lindemans Labimc have a larger top than beer bottles, and the caps I have don't fit on them. I ended up putting beer in a 2 liter and a couple of 1 liter plastic bottles that I sterilized real quick. Not an awful thing yet, the problem is all I have for my next batch is champagne bottles. Are there bigger caps that will work on them? They are Californian Spumante.

You want European 29mm caps and a capper that will work with them.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...m-gold-crowns-100-ct-large-european-size.html

There's a separate bell available for the red baron wing capper that handles them. The Colonna capper and capper/corker can do it. I'm sure plenty of others can, too.

Thank you guys. Ordered the bell and some larger caps. Looks like the disaster is averted as the next batch is imperial stout, so i am in no hurry to bottle it.

Back