Blueberry wit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my plan is to take a standard wit recpie and make it a blueberry wit.

I was thinking of adding the blueberrys to the secondary, but im not sure, should they go into the primary after a week of fermenting? should they go in right at the beginning?

also how much would people use? I want a ton of flavr :)

I don't see fruit blending well with a traditional wit's characteristics of yeast-driven funk, lactic tang and the spicing. An American wheat might be a better base beer for what you're after. ;)

Well, my wit never has any of those nasty spicy flavrs! (yech) and funk in a wit? really? I dont see blue moon being so popular with funk :p

ok, so say i make an american wheat..... same question goes :)

then again, I guess blue moon is as close to a wit as it is an American wheat..... maybe i need to sample some of these side bye side :D

A local brewery is making a Strawberry Wit for a buddy's pub that gets released next week.

I've already reserved a keg, so I'll let ya know how it tastes. :)

Ive had super tasty strawberry wits (and actually sam adams has a good blackberry one) what i need to know is how to make it :p

Well, my wit never has any of those nasty spicy flavrs! (yech) and funk in a wit? really? I dont see blue moon being so popular with funk :p

ok, so say i make an american wheat..... same question goes :)

Can you imagine Hoegaarden or Celis with fruit? Blegh -doesn't sound appealing to me in the least.

I've never done any fruit beers myself, as I can't stand them, so I can't comment on process.

I haven't made a fruit wit, but I've made strawberry blonde and it's my most requested beer.

I just puree the strawberries and put them into the secondary, then rack the beer in from the primary, and let it sit for a month or so. I use 4 pounds of strawberries for mine.

Can you imagine Hoegaarden or Celis with fruit? Blegh -doesn't sound appealing to me in the least.

I've never done any fruit beers myself, as I can't stand them, so I can't comment on process.

actually in the BJCP class we just did the wits last Sunday, and I was like this would be great with some blueberry :) I would cut out the spices and add in blueberry, I guess that would make it an american wheat tho..... hhmmmm yummy sounding !

I haven't made a fruit wit, but I've made strawberry blonde and it's my most requested beer.

I just puree the strawberries and put them into the secondary, then rack the beer in from the primary, and let it sit for a month or so. I use 4 pounds of strawberries for mine.

for a 5 gallon batch? how heavy of a fruit flavr do you get?

I use two to three pounds but you certainly could go up to 4 if you desired. I usually cook the blueberries and smash them to just ensure that they are pasteurized. Then I add them to the second fermentation and rack the primary onto them. The color goes from brown to almost purple. The taste is phenominal. In a contest in 07 I scored a 39 on the second batch I brewed. It had 2.5# of farm fresh blueberries.

Good luck! should be spendid.

Back