Whoops, purchased 7#'s of Flaked Wheat instead of Wheat Malt for Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielinva

Reaction score
First off, this site is awesome. I've been using this site for over a year now for the wealth of brewing information and entertainment it provides but have never bothered to actually make a post or add to the conversation...until now.

Here's my problem:
I was planning on brewing Edwort's Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen on Memorial Day, but now realize that instead of the seven pounds of wheat malt the recipe calls for, I bought seven pounds of flaked wheat. Will I still get a hefeweizen or should I be making making my way back to the LHBS to purchase the 7#'s of wheat malt and perhaps another 4#'s of pils since all the grain is mixed together in one bag.
I'd rather not have to buy another $15.00 in grain, but I'd choose that option over making an undrinkable beer any day.

Thanks

Welcome to the boards.

Use a lot of rice hulls to help with the lauter.
Some 6-row will help with conversion and not change the beer noticably.

I have a feeling you may already know my opinion though. ;)

I say roll with it, allow plenty of extra time for conversion and stir well since you will be pushing the enzymes to their limit. If you don't have rice hulls you will need 'em so if you have to buy some at the LHBS might as well add a pound of 6-row to help finish the conversion.

Oh yeah I forgot about the long low mash suggestion. Unless this is a crazy coincidence then I have been emailing with OP today about how to go about solving his problem.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to go ahead and give it a try with what I've got. I'm not sure about the 6-row at this point though. It seems that the only homebrew shops anywhere near me either don't carry it, will be closed, or are just not responding to my phone calls.

If I end up going for it without any 6-row should I plan on a full 2 hours for conversion? I did actually borrow some iodine from my school (I'm a teacher) so I could probably just test every half hour until its done....if it will indeed convert without the additional 6-row.

Also, if one of the homebrew shops is at least open and I can get some turbopils, is that better than nothing?

And no coincidences here Ed. Thanks again for all the help over email today.

Everything seems to have turned out fine so far. I mashed @150 F for about 90 minutes with a water/grist ratio of 1.8qts/lb. Sparge went incredibly well with the almost 1lb bag of rice hulls in there. I did end up with about a half gallon less wort into the kettle than I had planned for (I think I should have adjusted by grain absorption due to all the flaked wheat) but I was able to top off with water in the fermentor since I overshot the OG by about 6 or 7 points.
I guess I'll know what the end result of a hefeweizen with the wrong type of wheat is in about 24 days or so.

I know its a bit to soon to be popping these open, but my patience is more or less non-existent even when I have a bit of a pipeline going. Anyhoo, it turned out pretty tasty. Pretty much no banana to it for some reason, but otherwise very good for its still green state.

It will be interesting to compare this beer to the one with the correct grain bill that will be bottled in a couple days.

Yeah.... I remember when I made an extract brew and I didn't know what rice syrup solids were, and instead bought 3 lbs of flaked rice. Cut the bag, dumped in the wort, and WOOOMPFFFF! Instant hopped up baby food! I will never forget the look on me and my brew partner's faces... then the simultaneous "oh ****."

Latest posts

Back