fermentation stuck???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I have an APA that I just racked to secondary, as the airlock had all but stopped bubbling. It had been on primary for a week.

it started out at 1.061, and now is is down to 1.020 and the airlock is practically dead.

what's going on?

do I need to re-pitch?

:confused:

when you rack the beer off of the yeast cake in the primary, you are basically hitting the brakes on fermentation. You shouldn't rack to the secondary until fermentation is done.

If you expect the gravity to drop below 1.02, you might just have to wait it out now since there is a lot less yeast to do the work. pitching new yeast might help, but you might have to rack it again if a lot of sediment forms.

-walker

beer is from:

7.5 lbs of LME, over 3 lbs in grain for my mini mash. WL California V yeast.

I've had Cal V stop around 1.020 before. It eventually gets to the target, but can take a few weeks. You might have some starches in there, get some iodine & check it.

well, it's started bubbling again in secondary. about 1 glurk every 4 seconds.

this is the second time cali V yeast has yielded a real high FG (1.015 on my other mix and match brown).

Back