Pale Ale = GREAT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
The American Pale Ale me and my brewing buddy brewed over 5 weeks ago has come out great! Yes, I gave in and had a drink 5 weeks in, but I must say, I was totally surprised at the great taste it had! I can't wait to have some more. I will let it age a week more before I indulge myself, but I am ecstatic at the fact that this was just my second batch and it came out as good or better then what I expected. This hobby is for sure a keeper :D. We are still thinking about our next batch, but since I picked the previews batch, it will be up to my brewing partner to pick the next batch. He was interested in doing a double chocolate stout, but that might change. He had a Guinness for the first time and even though he liked it, he mentioned he couldn't taste much hop flavor and so I told him to keep in mind that the double chocolate stout will probably lack in that area as well. I told him that a American Brown Ale would probably do the trick do to the more hoppy flavor (this is just based on what I have read of course) and might be more like what he is looking for(a dark beer with much flavor). What do you all think?

If you want hop flavor stick with Pale ales or India pale ales. Brown ales are generally not hopped all that much but, you could always do both. :)

you might have him try a sierra nevada porter. the flavoring hops come through nicely, and i've seen clone recipes around.

in any case, you can make a hoppy stout. it'll just take a large amount because utilization is lower with higher gravity boils.

If you want hop flavor stick with Pale ales or India pale ales. Brown ales are generally not hopped all that much but, you could always do both.

True. The thing is it isn't about getting a very hoppy beer, just a moderate hopped beer with a rich malty flavor; hence, a darker beer(of course, correct me if I'm wrong). He just thought Guinness lacked a lot of hop flavor. We still want to have a general knowledge of the whole spectrum of beer from hoppy to malty. We have a London Porter ready to bottle (2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary).

An Amber Ale I think would be right up that alley. They can be hopped a bit more than say brown ales, but still benefit on the malt side from the darker roasted grains.

Latest posts

Back