Harrisburg Pa is in the house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJM

Reaction score
Didn't believe it when my buddy told me that home brew is better than store bought. Even after I finished my first batch I was still skeptical. I cheated and put some of the fermented wort in a mini keg with a little sugar, gave it a week and tried it......I know thats not how it should go but ..............it was EXCELLENT. Since then I go to the home brew store once a week.

Right now I'm experimenting with different mixtures DME and grains. Every mix I try tastes good. Some better than others but for the most part all taste good.

Can anyone give me recipes with the least amount of ingredients?

Oh.....the posts on this site help me quite a bit.

Thanks

DJM said:
Didn't believe it when my buddy told me that home brew is better than store bought. Even after I finished my first batch I was still skeptical. I cheated and put some of the fermented wort in a mini keg with a little sugar, gave it a week and tried it......I know thats not how it should go but ..............it was EXCELLENT. Since then I go to the home brew store once a week.

Right now I'm experimenting with different mixtures DME and grains. Every mix I try tastes good. Some better than others but for the most part all taste good.

Can anyone give me recipes with the least amount of ingredients?

Oh.....the posts on this site help me quite a bit.

Thanks
Welcome,

There are quite a few central Pa and Maryland brewers on here. You can brew a lot of great beers using Liquid yeast, DME and specialty grains. On the DME I use the extra light as a base extract and color and flavor with specialty grains. You can adjust the body of your beer by using a mix of the DME types. M&F and Breiss have mostly fermentable malt sugars because they are made with a lower mash temp. Laaglander is mashed at a high temp and has a lot of unfermentable sugars. A good ESB recipe I have uses 3 lb M&F and 3 lb Lag. The F.G. ends at about 1.017, all M&F F.G. = 1.013, all Lag = 1.021. This is a good example on how to tweak the body on a DME beer.

Warrior

HELLO fellow Harrisburgian! I'm new to homebrewing too and probably just as excited as you are. Believe me when I say I'm changing some upcoming renovations in my basement because of this new found interest.

I'm sure there are other Harrisburg people on here but you're the first I noticed since joining a month ago.

Have you been to Mr. Steve's in Manchester yet? If not, you NEED to.

Hello there Mr Harrisburg

Nope...never been to Steves but I'll look it up and give em a visit. Currently I go to Scotzins in Lemoyne. Knowledgable guys and they have anything you'll need.....

Why Steves? Better prices?

Dan M

Mollyhatchet and DJM - hello fellow homebrewers.

I didn't know that Scotzin Bros. was still open to be honest. I was told they cloed down a few years ago. I have since discovered that this is misinformation.

So, now I'll be speding a lot less time behind the wheel when I go to Scotzin Bros. again (I went there years ago). I good friend of mine used to LIVE at Scotzin Bros. he was there so much.

I just checked their website and saw they have a brewclub called ReHAB (Regional Harrisburg Area Brewers) and they meet once a month. I may have to show up for the next meeting.

85 Haro Designs said:
Mollyhatchet and DJM - hello fellow homebrewers.

I didn't know that Scotzin Bros. was still open to be honest. I was told they cloed down a few years ago. I have since discovered that this is misinformation.

So, now I'll be speding a lot less time behind the wheel when I go to Scotzin Bros. again (I went there years ago). I good friend of mine used to LIVE at Scotzin Bros. he was there so much.

I just checked their website and saw they have a brewclub called ReHAB (Regional Harrisburg Area Brewers) and they meet once a month. I may have to show up for the next meeting.
It's been quite some time since I've been to Scotzon bros. I'll have to try and amke the next meeting.

Warrior - let me know if you're going to go for sure.

I'm really thinking I will attend the next meeting (but I'll be bringing chips since I won't have any homebrew ready by then).

85 Haro Designs said:
Warrior - let me know if you're going to go for sure.

I'm really thinking I will attend the next meeting (but I'll be bringing chips since I won't have any homebrew ready by then).
I e-mailed the club and the next metting is at Scotzins from 3-5 on March 1st. As of now I do plan on attending. I'll let you know if my plans change.

Back