2012 hops harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Well I did not see this thread yet, so i thought I'd start one. Its that time of year again(and this years weather threw everything way off), so lets get some harvest numbers rolling.

I gave everything from my 40 centennial plants to another hbt member, he took bines and all last I heard he estimated he had close to half picked off the bines, and was at 4 lbs wet weight. As i get pm's i will adjust what i have entered, but for now

4lbs wet harvested:rockin: lol easiest harvest i ever had(thanks for taking em john hope they make fantastic beer good luck to u in the future glad to have met you)

4lbs from 40 plants? That sucks.

read the post he is still picking. that was estimated weight on a guessed half. Well and considering i hacked everything to the ground mid may, never watered(despite declared drought in my county) and never added any nutes this year do to lack of time with my selling my house for an international move. Im happy so far with the #'s and tha fact that they will get brewed with, I grow em as much for the appearance they give my beer garden as much or more than i car about harvest #'s

I got almost 3lbs wet from 2 plants this year. Chinook and centennial.

so your 3 and my guessed 4(again ill adjust the numbers when i get a total)=7? dont be afraid to throw ounces in there or just round down i guess

so
7lbs wet so far

tchuklobrau said:
so your 3 and my guessed 4(again ill adjust the numbers when i get a total)=7? dont be afraid to throw ounces in there or just round down i guess

so
7lbs wet so far

Cheers!

Picked centenial 2 nights ago, 2nd year plants, about 1 lbs wet, 1plant

ForumRunner_20120817_102250.jpg

Picked willamette last night, 1.5 lbs wet 1 plant

ForumRunner_20120817_102447.jpg

Still have 2 cascades, 2 chinook, 1 golding to pick, cascades are LOADED.

Chinook look to be about 1 lbs, first year plant from great lakes hops, EXCELENT customer service and awsome plants

I'm getting ready for my harvest(6th year). Kinda getting stressed out about it with new floors being laid down and knowing that I have 24-ish dried pounds ahead of me to pick, this guy is gonna need a vacation after this season. I have one Chinook plant that yields me almost 6# dried every year:D

ok so math check here, im drunk(lol) if my math is right we have 24lbs so far(actual harvest). if you poost a harvest add it up and change the #'s

soooooooo 24lbs(again im drunk but thats what i get from posted actual harvest)

24lbs
+ 4lbs (got pm from jstraight he says8+lbs total, since i had posted 4 b4 im only adding 4 now)

= 28 lbs harvested so far.

I didn't weigh mine prior to drying, but I've got 10 oz. Cascade, 4 oz. Centennial, and 2 oz. Columbus, dry weight.

First year on everything except the cascade. Didn't get anything off of the chinook or the nugget. Not bad at all considering the almost criminal level of neglect that I've shown toward them.

I'm very tempted to throw the whole lot into one massive ipa along with all of the hops that are left over in my freezer from the 2011 harvest. :cross:

My final count is in. The chinooks are first year plants, the rest are all tweto years old. All weights are dried and packaged.

2 Chinooks, 12 oz (but did a fresh hop ipa on sunday)

Centenial, 6 oz

Willamette, 6 oz

Us golding, 4 oz

2 Cascades, 36 oz

Total of 64 oz, I am very happy

My final results from 16 second year cascades, 10 first year chinook and 10 first year columbus was just over 35 gal. wet. This yielded 72 oz. cascade, 24 oz. columbus and 7 oz. chinook when dried and vac. sealed.

picked hops.jpg

picked hops 2.jpg

bagged hops.jpg

First year 'starts' report. In south central WI, with reported 'extreme drought' conditions (truth be told I watered them everyday)

Centennial - 1 hop cone
Nugget - Handful of hop cones (maybe 0.5 oz dried if I am lucky)
Cascade - 1lb. 10oz. wet harvested! Great haul from these babies, pictures below

P1030124.jpg

P1030180.jpg

P1030182.jpg

I have almost finished harvesting my hops for the year. The big winner was my first year Columbus which produced 1 lb (wet) --> 4.75oz (dry)

2nd year Magnum: .25oz dry
2nd year Centennial: 1.3 oz dry
2nd year EKG: nothing...nada...zip

There is a patch of wild hop vines growing by my house. I pulled quite a haul yesterday. I didn't even make a dent in what was there. I think I'm going back tomorrow.:rockin:

Wild Hop Harvest 2012.jpg

I harvested today as well! I didn't get the greatest production out of some of my plants because of crappy sandy/clay soil. The two that produced (Cascade/Cent - 3rd and 4th from left) Have good soil. I will be digging everything up and putting in some good quality soil this fall. I now realize how big a role the soil quality plays.

IMG_5975.jpg

From left to right(age)
Mt. Hood(4)
Willamette (4)
Centennial (2)
Cascade (2)
Fuggles (1)
Goldings (1)
Cascade - offshoot planted from above this year as the rhizome i planted did not take. It even produced a tiny bit!!
Centennial (1)

IMG_6069.jpg

The grower himself!

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

I haven't weighed it yet. I'll let it dry. Cascade right and cent left.

IMG_5989.jpg

Here is what my hops looked like before the harvest:
2012-08-31_16-24-47_413.jpg

This is the third day of the harvest. I haven't even picked 1/2 of these suckers so far.
2012-09-03_19-47-03_529.jpg

Here are the harvest numbers for my twelve first year plants from Great Lakes Hops that I put in the ground last October: (2 bines) Zeus 2# dry; Mt. Hood 5 oz dry; Magnum 11.1 dry; Kent Golding 7.5 oz dry; (2 bines) Chinook 2.4#; (2 bines) Cascade 14 oz; (3 bines) Centennial 1.5 #. 6 Pounds total...now I need to get brewing!

Back