Purchasing and filling co2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
Some of you have probably heard this one a lot, but what type of stores (besides online) sell co2 tanks? I live in Massachusetts and a lot of other threads on this topic name local retailers or small chains that don't exist in the Northeast. My online option is actually a pretty good one; $75 (w/shipping) for a 10lb refurbished aluminum tank, but the measurement specifications aren't guaranteed and they vary by sale. I'd still rather find an in-store retailer.

Lastly, what type of places fill co2 tanks? :confused:

I'm open to all of your suggestions,
Cheers! :mug:

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=Worcester%2C+MA&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADRA_enUS431#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7ADRA_enUS431&sclient=psy-ab&q=co2+refill+worcester+ma&oq=co2+Worcester%2C+MA&aq=0b&aqi=g-b1&aql=1&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i8.3618l4603l0l6559l4l4l0l0l0l0l156l533l0j4l4l0.pfwe.1.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=760b3eff8cbb04a5&biw=1024&bih=533[/ame]

Just scored an alum 10 for $45 on CL. Airgas says $15 + $16 + tax to swap for a hydroed full one.

Just scored an alum 10 for $45 on CL. Airgas says $15 + $16 + tax to swap for a hydroed full one.

That's a great deal. Nothing on CL in my area for a 10lb. I also found a local Airgas that I need to call tomorrow. What are you saying their price policy is?

Some of you have probably heard this one a lot, but what type of stores (besides online) sell co2 tanks? I live in Massachusetts and a lot of other threads on this topic name local retailers or small chains that don't exist in the Northeast. My online option is actually a pretty good one; $75 (w/shipping) for a 10lb refurbished aluminum tank, but the measurement specifications aren't guaranteed and they vary by sale. I'd still rather find an in-store retailer.

Lastly, what type of places fill co2 tanks? :confused:

I'm open to all of your suggestions,
Cheers! :mug:

I picked up a complete kegging kit from Beveridge Elements for about a hundred bucks. It included averything but the tank fill and the brew. A local fire extinguisher or welding gas supplier will fill them for a small fee. Good luck.
Bob

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, do yourself a favor and do one more search for any beverage supply stores in your area. I found a place in my area that supplies bars and restaurants with soda. They also cover all CO2 and beer gas. I was able to get on their tank rental program; for a $50 one time deposit, I got one of their 15lb cylinders. Whenever I empty one, I bring it back and it's $14 to get a new one. I don't have to worry about testing or maintaining them ever - that's their responsibility. Pretty good deal, in my opinion.

I picked up a complete kegging kit from Beveridge Elements for about a hundred bucks. It included averything but the tank fill and the brew. A local fire extinguisher or welding gas supplier will fill them for a small fee. Good luck.
Bob

How did you go about getting that price? Their basic kegging kit is listed $163.95 on their website.

I found a fire extinguisher store yesterday and I'm probably going to go with them because their prices are good and they're right near my house. Haven't made a final decision yet though.

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, do yourself a favor and do one more search for any beverage supply stores in your area. I found a place in my area that supplies bars and restaurants with soda. They also cover all CO2 and beer gas. I was able to get on their tank rental program; for a $50 one time deposit, I got one of their 15lb cylinders. Whenever I empty one, I bring it back and it's $14 to get a new one. I don't have to worry about testing or maintaining them ever - that's their responsibility. Pretty good deal, in my opinion.

Thanks, I took your advice and am waiting on an answer/price quote from a local beverage manufacturer/distributer. Otherwise, I have a reasonably-priced fire extinguisher store lined up.

That's a great deal. Nothing on CL in my area for a 10lb. I also found a local Airgas that I need to call tomorrow. What are you saying their price policy is?

I think it was $16 for out of date hydro and $15 to swap or the other way around.

I think it was $16 for out of date hydro and $15 to swap or the other way around.

I called this morning, and I basically got the same quote from the Airgas near me. They said between $15 and $25. And you're right, it is probably $16 for a rehydroed swap like two other places I called.

There's an airgas on Rt 20 headed towards Shrewsbury and a welding gas on Rt 20 headed towards Auburn. Does Airgas rent any tanks? I'd like to know what kind of deal you got from Fire Extinguisher place.
I'm currently shopping for tank.

There's an airgas on Rt 20 headed towards Shrewsbury and a welding gas on Rt 20 headed towards Auburn. Does Airgas rent any tanks? I'd like to know what kind of deal you got from Fire Extinguisher place.
I'm currently shopping for tank.

The place you're talking about, Airgas East, moved to Auburn recently. They're at 97 Bancroft St. now. The fire extinguisher place, O'Connell Fire Protection, is down the street from me at 261 Brooks St. Worcester, MA. They told me that they charge $18 for a 10lb cylinder refill. They don't swap tanks, but they offer rehydroing of your own tanks for $16 when it needs to be done (every 5 years). eBay is still the best place I've found to actually buy co2 tanks. The retail stores (around here at least) charge really high prices. Most likely, I'm buying one or more from this seller http://tinyurl.com/7eftblp

I just called and got redirected to 97 Bancroft. That's not a bad price from what I've seen.

The place you're talking about, Airgas East, moved to Auburn recently. They're at 97 Bancroft St. now.

Most likely, I'm buying one or more from this seller "

Hi all, sorry to bring this back up. I am also looking at finding a place to refill a 20Lb tank, I have tried to call AirGas in Worcester but was unable to get through to someone. Does anyone have a number that I can contact for their retail section about pricing on refills? Are there other places around that will refill tanks that anyone else uses on here? I have found a place that will swap but I prefer to refill as I am picky about my equipment, in terms of looks and knowing it is and has been only used by me. The place that will swap charges $69 for a 20Lb tank and if I can get it filled for alot less then I want to go that route.

Thanks in advance
Joe

Airgas has moved twice. They were at 97 Bancroft Street Auburn (508) 721-2226 or (508) 755-6815 but I think they moved again. Supposed to be a PraxAir in Shrewsbury.

I got my first beer gas bottle filled directly by Praxair at their site. It was my first experience with anything keg related, before I was even interested in homebrew, just knew that I wanted Guinness on tap. I discovered the local welding shop later, and their military discount. Praxair was obviously more money than the local welding shop, though I don't get mine filled, rather just exchanged. Maybe for my new 15# they'll end up filling it.

Airgas has moved twice. They were at 97 Bancroft Street Auburn (508) 721-2226 or (508) 755-6815 but I think they moved again. Supposed to be a PraxAir in Shrewsbury.

Thank you, I will have to call them up, if not then its to try a welding shop somewhere.

I got my first beer gas bottle filled directly by Praxair at their site. It was my first experience with anything keg related, before I was even interested in homebrew, just knew that I wanted Guinness on tap. I discovered the local welding shop later, and their military discount. Praxair was obviously more money than the local welding shop, though I don't get mine filled, rather just exchanged. Maybe for my new 15# they'll end up filling it.

Thank you for that info too, I will be looking for them online too to compare prices and locations to where I live, not that I will (well maybe - Wife drinks ALOT of coca cola) refilling that often, but don't want to have to drive an hour to refill.

I just called them up (508 721-2226) and talked to Bob, They are still located at 97 Bancroft Street in Auburn. And the price for a swap is $20 for a 20Lb tank. He was very nice on the phone as compared to the other shop I called in boyleston (The Homebrew Emporium on Steryling street) The first guy I talked to there was harsh, like he did not have time to talk to me, and their price for a swap of the same size was $69.

thank again for the contach info :mug:

Hopefully three months isn't too much of a bump. Here's the rundown for some of the places around Worcester, MA mentioned in this thread, I just went looking today.

Aimtek:
201 Washington Street
Auburn, MA 01501
(508) 832-5035

5lb CO2 - $15.99
5lb beer gas - $22

Airgas:
97 Bancroft Street
Auburn, MA

5lb CO2 - $18
5lb Beer gas - $22

The Airgas location at 199 Southwest Cutoff (Rt 20) appears to no longer offer retail services. There is a sign on the window redirecting customers to the 97 Bancroft location. It appears to be a regional station of some kind for them, which will probably keep it in the Google results for a long time, but don't bother going there.

In both cases, Airgas and Aimtek do *not* fill while you wait. Both swap tanks and give a little "for the 100th billionth time, we don't fill tanks while you wait, this isn't a gas station" shtick if you ask.

Both were polite and knowledgeable, I was equally pleased with the service both places. The tanks they showed me at each place appeared to be in good condition.

Strange Brew (LHBS) told me $35 to fill a my tank while I wait. I can't recall if that was CO2 or Beergas (they stock both.) They're a bit further away though.

Updates:

Strangebrew currently charges $25 to fill while you wait. It takes a solid 10-15 minutes, which doesn't sound like a long time until you're waiting, then it's an eternity. Then again, you get to wander around a large homebrew store, so there are worse things. They're also the best option in the worcester area (i use that term loosely) for filling on a weekend or evening hours.

Aimtek moved down the street. They're now a couple hundred yards southwest of the address posted above. It's a blue building halfway between where the pike crosses over rt 20 (you'll see their old yellow building) and milbury street. They're on the same side of the road as before. Can't miss it, but I don't think they have signage up yet. They're charging about $26 now including tax for a 5 lb swap. Swaps with them have been great, I've always gotten a tank in great condition with a recent inspection date. One time a valve was loose and they replaced it for free, no questions asked.

Back