Best way to add some Citrus to a Spring Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Am cooking up a batch of a Sam Spring Ale and I want to add a little citrus note to it, similar to the new Alpine Spring that is out now. What is my best option to add that citrus note?

I would go Orange or lemon peel in the boil for about 10 minutes, or steep some fruit in the fermenter. Just the zest and segments, though, not the white pith.

Can I add the zest shortly after getting it on fermentation. I am hoping to brew both batches this morning, but I don't have lemons at home. Can I add them to the fermenter tonight or tomorrow? I would think there is a little leeway there. How much zest would you recommend for a five gallon batch?

Don't add zest during fermentation, wait for it to finish first. I wouldn't use a zester, I'd actually use a knife and cut the zest off in long thin pieces, carefully avoiding cutting into the pith. Then put the zest in a muslin bag, like you're dry hopping, and put it in the beer. Start with two fruits, and then check it a couple days later to see if it has given you the fruit profile you're looking for.

Back in the Summer I made an Orange Weizen.
The recipe came with sweet orange peel to put in the boil. Honestly I could not taste any orange from this. Personally think it was useless.
Then I used zest and meat of 5 oranges in a secondary, that added an orange hint to it. If I do it again, I would probably add a few more oranges to the secondary.
Everything I have read says to be careful not to get the "white" of the peel. It will add bitterness.

Appreciate all the advice from everyone on this one. Will go with the adding in secondary.

What about peeling the skin, noth the pith, and soaking that in vodka for a few days. Then add the lemon vodka to the carbon after primary fermentation is done? I did this with vanilla beans with good results.

I'm a strong advocate for tinctures, especially with vanilla, but have never tried it with citrus peel.

Can I add the zest shortly after getting it on fermentation. I am hoping to brew both batches this morning, but I don't have lemons at home. Can I add them to the fermenter tonight or tomorrow? I would think there is a little leeway there. How much zest would you recommend for a five gallon batch?

definitely wait for secondary, and have the peel/zest in a hop bag so you can pull them out. i recently made a witbier and added orange peel to the boil but i couldn't smell anthing so i included a piece or two in primary. ended up with too much orange flavor and aroma and the brew ended up a little bitter. luckily it's aging out nicely but this batch would have been better without the peel in primary.

Try using about 3/4 cup of zest in the last 10 min of the boil for a 5 gallon batch.

I would also make sure to keep the IBU's down in the 20'ish range. Too much bitterness and you won't be able to taste any of the fruit. Too much fruit and you have a Zima. Its all a balancing act.

Nobody has mentioned the use of coriander, 1/2 tsp at the 5-10 minute mark adds a lot of citrus flavor. Do not use too much, it's amazing how little it takes!

Dry hop with half an ounce of Citra hops and you'll get citrus. Do this with your orange peel zest and see how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back