Old extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodesbrew

Reaction score
I recently acquired a fairly large chunk of DME that belonged to a co-worker's ex. I am assuming some humidity cause it all to stick together and then dry out. Is this still ok to use, since it will probably just dissolve in hot water anyway? There was also a couple of containers of LME that had hardened. Would this soften and eventually dissolve if slowly brought to a boil? I usually brew AG but it's been awhile and I want to get rid of this stuff!

Well, my guess is that it will still make beer, and that's a good thing. Maybe not as good as you'd get with fresher ingredients, but still better than most of what you'd buy at the local 7-11. Not much downside, since it won't cost much other than your time. I'd love to get some free ingedients! Give it a whirl, or give it away,but don't let it go to waste!

The one time I got outdated LME,it made the ale in my avatar. Got the full three thumbs up from Gary on Home Brewer TV! I say go for it.

Latest posts

Back