Bought cider that was already fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbear

Reaction score
So I recently made my first hard cider.:rockin: It was very good but i wanted a sweet cider and it fermented out very dry. I wanted to retry so I bought a single gallon of the same cider from a local orchard.

It is late in the season so i think that the gallon i bought had been sitting in the store for a while. It was under alot of pressure when i bought it and it shot the top of when i opened it. If i shake it it pressurizes again and foams up. I figured that this meant some wild yeast that was in it had begun to ferment. So I added a campden tablet.
My question is whether i have to be worried about anything? should i get all of the carbonation out before pitching the yeast? did the wild yeast fermenting hurt the cider at all?
any advice would be nice

I saw another thread similar to this but it said not to worry and let the natural yeast ferment it out. Since i already put the campden tablet in i cant do that so... I was wondering if the little bit of natural yeast will have any noticeable effect?

I don't think you will have any noticeable tastes just pitch your yeast and have at it.

By the way what yeast did you use?

The latest apple juice has already started drying out. What does it taste like?

You might want to just get some regular preserved apple juice to back-sweeten your cider with, as it shouldn't cause the original batch to start up again.

Can you do a gravity reading on the one you just bought? Just for grins, to see what level of sugars remain (and guess at the current level of fermentation).

To answer Joes first question, my last batch ended up below 1.00 (it was at 1.00 then i let it sit for 2 weeks so i dont know the FG, I just know it was done). It tastes like a very drinkable white wine with a tart apple after taste. Everyone who tries it says it will be better when its carbed. But it is already in bottles so i cant add anything to it anymore. Right now it is slightly carbed and delicious but not alot of apple taste and not sweet.

Well, the campden tablet didnt stop the natural yeast that was in it, so i added one pound of sugar (before taking a gravity reading sorry Joe). It has been fermenting overnight. My plan is to bottle it when it reaches 1.015-1.02 so that it will be sweeter and then pastuerizing once the desired carb level is reached. I know that this will probably lead to alot of sediment on the bottom of the bottles and it probably wont be as clear as my last batch but im just going for the taste on this batch.
I will keep yall updated on fermentation and how the wild yeast works.

Your fermenting cider contained billions of active yeast cells. That camden tab didn't stand a chance.

Wild yeast is a crap shoot. Odds are it'll be fine.

Back