recipe help (centennial pale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
I'm new at the whole make up your own recipe game so I am seeking a little help. I want an easy drinking, cost effective, tasty brew...who doesn't? My main question has to do with the hop schedule. Here's what I'm thinking.

1 lbs. caramel 10 or 20
6 lbs. gold lme

1 oz. centennial (60 min.)
.5 oz. centennial (20 min.)
.5 oz. centennial (1 min.)

US-05 yeast

Also, if I were to add 1 pound of light dme, how much would that affect the hop amounts? Thanks for the help.

As is, your recipe puts you around 4.8% abv and 34 ibus. That's going to be a pretty hoppy pale ale.

Adding a lb of DME puts you at 5.7% abv which will balance out the hoppiness. It's really your call, a low ABV, extra hoppy pale or a higher abv balanced pale.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll throw in the lb of dmb to keep it balanced. Does the timing of the additions look good?

I don't think it will be too hoppy at all as is. I would keep it at 4.8% if you are going for something easy drinking.

centennial, to me, is a very assertive, hop. You need a little higher ABV and some malt backbone to balance it out, if used aggresively or as the only hop in the beer.

I would keep it at your current ABV, but move 1/2 of the bittering addition to 10 minutes. YUMM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when you say "1/2 of the bittering addition", you mean the 60 min. one right? So I would add .5 oz. at 60, 30, 15, and 1 min?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when you say "1/2 of the bittering addition", you mean the 60 min. one right? So I would add .5 oz. at 60, 30, 15, and 1 min?

1/2 oz at 60
1/2 oz at 20
1/2 oz at 10
1/2 oz at 1

This will give you a nice smoothly bittered pale ale, with good balance, but still nice hop aroma and flavor. i am assuming you are aroung %10 AA with your centennial, this would be good beer. It would be better with a little dry hop too:rockin:

Back