Too much coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
So I made a 5.5 gallon batch of some wit I made up myself the grain bill was as such.

4.5lb wheat malt
4.5lb 2 row

1oz hallertauer 3% @ 60
1oz hallertauer 3% @ 15

1oz sweet orange peel @ 10
1oz coriander @ 10
1lb honey @ flameout

Ive been reading around that 1oz of coriander is too much and some have even debated dumping the batch. I will definitely not be doing this. I know the flavors will mellow out eventually, my question is whether to get this in the keg to carb for a while or let it sit in the fermenter longer than my usual 2 weeks? Will longer in both respects help or just one?

I made a grand cru and used 1 oz of corriander instead of the 1.5 oz it called for. It came out fine. It wasn't overpowering at the 1 oz. Leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks. Then keg it.

Thanks, good to have some reassurance. Im also hopeing the orange peel and honey may help out with this.

I used 1.5 oz for 5 gals of beer. For me it was too much and over powering. I believe that dry hopping with more orange peel would balance the beer a little bit.

Anyhow, after two months in bottles it mellowed and became really drinkable...

It should have been orange with some coriander, but it turned out to be coriander with some orange....

I used 1.5 oz. of crushed (not ground) coriander in my last wit. It was a bit much when young, but aged very nicely. After about 2 months, it was a very balanced beer, and even my anti-Belgian beer friends couldn't stop drinking it.

Here's the recipe:

5 gal

6 lbs Pilsner malt
5.25 lbs hard red wheat berries (unmalted)
.80 lbs rolled oats (pre-cooked)

strike @125 for 40 minutes (protein rest is a must for unmalted wheat)
sacch rest @152 for 60 minutes
mash out @170

1 oz. hallertau 3.9% 60 minutes
.75 oz. saaz 3.2% 25 minutes
.5 oz. bitter orange peel 10 minutes
pinch of orange zest 5 minutes
pinch of lemon zest 5 minutes
1.5 oz. coriander (crushed) 2 minutes
.5 tsp clove (crushed) 2 minutes

WLP 400 Belg Wit (1000mL starter on stir plate)

4.3% ABV

Give this one time in the secondary or in the bottle/keg. Very very good beer.

TB

Please do not dump. If you think the coriander is too strong, let it age a month, taste, repeat. 1oz is not too much. did you crush, crack or use the seeds whole?

Sorry its been awhile since ive been on. I crushed them, or attempted to, so Im sure I got some whole ones in there. I would never dump a beer and hasnt even crossed my mind on this one.

I am making a similar beer right now. I plan to crush and then steam/sanitaize the coriander, and add in the secondary with my dry hops. I thought this would add more delicate and volitile aroma which I was worried would disappear with my primary CO2 gas. My rate is planned at 1 oz per/ 6 gallons

thoughts?

I used 1 oz on coriander in a similar recipe and yes I do agree it was a little to much corriander, but I agree with above don't dump. Let it age a little and it will mellow out. If not, it's good cooking beer right :)

i used too much coriander in a rochefort 8 clone a while ago. it aged out pretty quickly and turned into a nice beer.

I think a little time will go a long way.

I hope my 0.6oz. ground won't be to much in my wit, 'cause it smelled like Leinie's Summer Wheat (shudder... Froot Loops) when I dumped into the fermenter...

just made an american wheat:

5lb 2-row
2lb white wheat malt
3lb flaked wheat

.75 oz orange peel (dried) - 5 min
1 oz ground corriander - 5 min

.75 oz willamette @ 60 min
.5 oz cascades @ 60 min

Wyeast 1010 activator

....we'll see....

I used .5 oz of each last time and did not really taste it...hopefully 1 oz will be enough...

I make a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat clone out of a hefeweizen recipe, plus 2 oz. blueberry extract, and 1 oz. coriander seed that has been cracked (but not ground) in a small blade-type coffee mill for maybe 5 seconds. That much coriander works great in the recipe.

I think the big difference for everyone here is when the ounce was measured. If it was 1oz before being crushed I would say you're good. If it's 1oz of ground then that's way too much IMO.

I think the big difference for everyone here is when the ounce was measured. If it was 1oz before being crushed I would say you're good. If it's 1oz of ground then that's way too much IMO.

1 oz is 1 oz - crushed or uncrushed, think about it...

the only difference is in the fact that already crushed seeds lose aromatics over time, so if you buy crushed coriander that has been stored for a long time it will be less aromatic than the one that you crushed on your own just before brewing....

Also depends on the type of corriander you use, the kind you normally find at the grocery store is usually round & less aromatic, the kind you find at Asian Markets & specialty stores is football shaped and has much more aroma and flavor.

I recently made a comparable wit using the same yeast and only about 0.35 oz of coriander. The beer is only 5.5 weeks old, but is tasting a bit skunky. Does this a beer using this yeast usually take a bit of time to mature?

Didn't want to derail the thread, so I will point out that the presence of coriander seemed a bit minimal, but the beer was quite enjoyable for the first couple of pours.

1 oz is 1 oz - crushed or uncrushed, think about it...

the only difference is in the fact that already crushed seeds lose aromatics over time, so if you buy crushed coriander that has been stored for a long time it will be less aromatic than the one that you crushed on your own just before brewing....
If going by weight (which I assumed everyone itt was) then yes. If going by volume, then crushed vs uncrushed will make a big difference. I guess that's what SOB was referring to. Most US-folks would just say "2 TBS" if it were 1 ounce by volume so in this case I agree, 1 oz is 1 oz.

The actual crush makes a difference. Crushed/cracked with a rolling pin won't have near the impact of ground in a coffee grinder.

If going by weight (which I assumed everyone itt was) then yes. If going by volume, then crushed vs uncrushed will make a big difference. I guess that's what SOB was referring to. Most US-folks would just say "2 TBS" if it were 1 ounce by volume so in this case I agree, 1 oz is 1 oz.

The actual crush makes a difference. Crushed/cracked with a rolling pin won't have near the impact of ground in a coffee grinder.

I actually meant 1Tbsp not 1oz...it was early when I typed that :)

So yes, I was talking volume...I typically toss 1 or 2 Tbsp in a bag and roughly crush it up...

Reviving an old thread with the same issue.

I made a Wit with 1oz ground coriander (didn't read that crushed was better until after) and it's very coriander forward. It's somewhat off putting to be honest. I don't really like it right now. I used 1oz orange peel and the orange is completely masked. I was wanting more of a citrus flavor to it. I've got a party in a couple weeks and I'm not gonna serve it if it tastes like this....

I was planning to do a sort of dry hop but with sliced up oranges by putting them in a nylon bag and having them sit in the keg for about 5 days. Thoughts on this? Other suggestions that might be better?

What about just juicing the oranges into a sterilized bowl and putting that in? I had great success doing the same thing with a pineapple in a Kolsch that was awesome.

I'd make a spice tea with a **** ton of dried orange peels and toss it in the keg.
Excess spicing takes a few weeks (months?) to calm down, depending on the beer and how much extra was used. You could make and then blend the beer with another wit to cut the spicing, but that is a lot of work.

I brewed 6gal of American Wheat about 2 weeks ago. I used 2oz of corriander crushed up in my coffee grinder.

It's crazy but it's not as strong as I thought it would be. The predominant aroma and flavor is the 2oz of late Amarillo and 2oz of late Citra. There is just a hint of corriander on the nose.

I'd make a spice tea with a **** ton of dried orange peels and toss it in the keg.
Excess spicing takes a few weeks (months?) to calm down, depending on the beer and how much extra was used. You could make and then blend the beer with another wit to cut the spicing, but that is a lot of work.

This has been moved up the ladder and is the current plan now. Planning on getting 4 large oranges and zesting them all. I will boil 1 cup of water, throw the zest in, and then kill the heat and cover. Once it's down to a decent temp, I'll throw the liquid into the keg and put the remaining zest in a strainer bag and tie it off inside the keg.

I hope this gets the job done. Thanks.

Back