Quick disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim4065

Reaction score
I've had a jaundiced view of these for a long time - which probably means it's wrong. Now I'm thinking of QD's instead of permanent plumbing for my connections using reinforced silicon hose from the pump to wherever. Gotta be much better for disassembly and cleaning. Is there a "best for the buck" QD that doesn't leak? If so - can you tell me where to get it?

I'm also on the hunt for some good Quick Disconnects. Stainless ones are pretty expensive (same price as tri-clovers it seems) and I found some brass stuff from McMaster Carr but they only say AIR rated. I called and they said they only rate it for air and can't comment on liquid uses. The price is nice and they are a push-in lock (one handed use) WITH a flow stopper.

Anyone used these and feel they are safe for brewing?

Here are two pieces
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1077t29/=5fkg8p
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6534k13/=5fjayp

Thanks for the confirmation.
Guess the one's I'm looking at would work but a little bit more expensive since I'm looking for 1/2" ID all the way through. That way no grain clogging on mash recirculation etc. I'm drawing out all the different connectors so I understand what I want my brewing rig to look like.

For my money, the tri-clovers are the way to go.

Yea, the cost a bit more, but you don't need to buy them all at once. I'm only using one right now. In a month or two I'll scrape up the cash for another. Hopefully, by year's end I'll have all I need.

I got a bunch of brass disconnects from Plastic Process Equipment for dirt cheap. They are straight-through 1/2" NPT, and cost less than the 3/8" ones from McMaster that are so popular. They also sell stainless ones that are interchangeable.

http://www.ppe.com/10cat/0411.pdf

Photos and part numbers are here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/so...ck-disconnects-149545/index3.html#post1743406

I think the female couplers were $6 and the male nipples were $2.25 each.

I can't seem to find the SS couplers in that catalog. Can you give me a page number?

I can't seem to find the SS couplers in that catalog. Can you give me a page number?
It is the same page as the brass ones. They don't show pictures of the stainless version, though. Stainless part numbers and prices are right beside those for the brass versions.

I like the plastic ones previously mentioned. No leakage issues, however I need to drill mine out as the crosshairs do catch some grain.

I almost exclusively use the Colder HFC-35 series which are the polysulfone disconnects you are referring to. I like them
for many reasons:

1- You can get them in a very wide range of fitting styles. So I have some
barbed, some NPT, some GHT, etc. It has given me a ton of flexibility.

2- They are super simple to get on and off - no fumbling around with a clamp and gasket.

3- No leaks.

4- Can handle higher temps (HFC35 only).

5- Rotate easily.

6- Available in valved or non-valved but I would not get valved versions
for the brewstand as it adds a risk for clogs.

You can go on Colder's website and find all the fitting styles and part numbers. Then US Plastics is a great source for them and they carry pretty much all of them on hand. Only thing about USP is I would setup your own Fedex account and have them use it for shipping. For whatever reason their cart's shipping estimator is FUBAR and this is a simple and free way to get around it.

Hope this helps!

I bought brass quick disconnects from Home Depot, but my 2nd time using them on my system I am starting to get all kinds of leaking. They are all tight and I have used Teflon tape as well, but I am still getting leakage. Anyone else seen this and/or have suggestions on how to fix this?

Back