Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been said a few times, but this sure does produce quite a bit of sulfur smell! I have my little 2 little 1 gallon batches going in a hall closet and they sure do stink it up a little bit. Does this cider need to be fermented in a dark location, like beer, or would it be ok to have it out in a more lighted area with a bit more air?

Jekster said:
It's been said a few times, but this sure does produce quite a bit of sulfur smell! I have my little 2 little 1 gallon batches going in a hall closet and they sure do stink it up a little bit. Does this cider need to be fermented in a dark location, like beer, or would it be ok to have it out in a more lighted area with a bit more air?

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it in the dark, just try to keep it away from direct sun light or bright artificial light. The less light obviously the better, same with beer. Since you are using 1 gallon carboys you maybe able to put a bucket over it reduce the smell quite a bit....kinda like a dutch oven that you control and only released when company is not present :D

Thanks again Edwort. Just had my first (ok well 4) carbed apfelwein and it is great. Going to get another batch going tomorrow. My Roommate also says thanks. This stuff makes American and English cider taste like BMC.

I have a retarded question....maybe it's because my searching skills have gone downhill....

how would you pronounce said Apfelwein?

that's what I thought....just a little uncertain. human language is not my thing....computer language is :D

98EXL said:
that's what I thought....just a little uncertain. human language is not my thing....computer language is :D

It's easy then:
public class Me extends Person {

public void drink( Apfelwein apfelwein ) {

try {

super.consume( apfelwein );

} catch( EmptyGlassException ege ) {

Apfelwein apfelwein = ApfelweinFactory.getNewInstance();
drink( apfelwein );

} catch( PassedOutException poe ) {

System.sleep( 28800 * 1000 );
}

}

}

/geeking it out

Hopleaf said:
It's easy then:

while( glass.isFull() ) {

}

nice!

my favorite of all time is this though:

Code:
SELECT      W.People
FROM        tbl_world W
WHERE       W.Clue = TRUE

NO RECORDS RETURNED

:D

Hopleaf said:
It's easy then:

try {

drink( apfelwein );

}

}

}

/geeking it out

Your edit is more funny than before

Hopleaf said:
It's easy then:

try {

drink( apfelwein );

}

}

}

/geeking it out

I have a glass that says #include <beer.h>

CBBaron said:
[edit] Oh yea, I also used energizer but maybe not enough as I only used 2tsp for 6gal.

I have always used energizer except for this time. It was nearly 24hrs after pitching. It started bubbling slowly 2-3 bubbles per minute. After adding the energizer within 30 seconds of shaking the thing I had about 60-70 bubbles per minute coming out of the airlock. Its was doing the same thing this morning.

I'm kind of pissy about this at this point. Mostly because SWMBO liked it at the start, and now I'm getting "it's sour"... All I know is it's been my bev of choice during the last few warm days. (out of the bottle, on ice) and life rocks...

Regardless, is it possible she's getting sour that I'm missing? I get some tart flavors, but I chalk it up to sitting 2 weeks longer than it should have, but not sour, and not enuf to put me off... Thoughts?

Ize

Ize said:
I'm kind of pissy about this at this point. Mostly because SWMBO liked it at the start, and now I'm getting "it's sour"... All I know is it's been my bev of choice during the last few warm days. (out of the bottle, on ice) and life rocks...

Regardless, is it possible she's getting sour that I'm missing? I get some tart flavors, but I chalk it up to sitting 2 weeks longer than it should have, but not sour, and not enuf to put me off... Thoughts?

Ize

Mine went through sour (green apple) but it faded.
Have her cut it with Sprite.

Look up apfelwein in Wikipedia.

Hopleaf said:
It's easy then:

try {

drink( apfelwein );

}

}

}

/geeking it out

Haha, nothing better than programmer humor. Understanding that is even better than being an EAC.

Holy Crap. 162 pages on this thread? Niiiice.

Well, I've cobbled together the stuff...got 8 lbs of corn sugar from a friend in town who runs a great new homebrew supply website (gotta say, that sure is nice, finally being able to get stuff at the last minute). Found Montrachet yeast at some crazy liquor store in MD this past weekend. All I gotta do is go to the store and get some apple juice this afternoon, and I'll have me some fermenting apfelwein before dinner. This is my first try...doesn't seem too difficult though.

One question: should I use yeast nutrients? How should I add them? Do they need to be sanitized via boiling?

Evan! said:
One question: should I use yeast nutrients? How should I add them? Do they need to be sanitized via boiling?
This is what I did but don't read that as the "correct" way to do things.
I added the nutrients much as Ed added the sugar to a partially emptied jug of juice. I shook the juice until it appeared to be completely dissolved, then poured it in with the rest of the juice.
I used Cotes de Blanc yeast which seems to really recommend using some yeast nutrients. Ed uses Montrachet and I don't believe he has ever used nutrients. So it sounds like you don't need the nutrients but if you have them I doubt it would hurt and it might reduce the sulphr smell many people experience (I never noticed a sulphur smell with mine)

Craig

I spent a few days and read up to about page 125, but my eyes couldn't take any more. I figure if there is anything crucial, it would have been mentioned by then.

Went ahead and made this last night. It was SO easy. Used EdWort's exact recipe, except 3 of the gallons were from Target ($2.50 each) and 2 gallons were treetop ($3.30 each) and I put in 2 tsp of yeast nutrient with the hopes I won't get any sulphur smell.

The Target juice listed ascorbic acid besides the apple juice from concentrate. I saw on this discussion that it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I just happened to see in Papazian's book this morning that a small amount of ascorbic acid is actually considered a beneficial brewing aid (page 101-102 of the 3rd edition). Sorry if this has already been mentioned on this discussion.

About to leave for a 3 1/2 week trip. Look forward to returning and bottling this stuff :mug:

Thanks Edwort!

Ed,

I finally finished off my first keg of the stuff that I made back in January. I took 3 liters of the stuff to a party and it was all gone within 30 minutes. You were right, the ladies were really digging it.

Anyways, the host of the party is German and his parents were there. They kept saying it reminded them of something called 'moscht' (sp?) Are the two things similar?

Does this stuff condition much in the bottle? I just ask because it's been in the primary for 5 weeks, and now is much clearer and tastier than even a week ago...it's also dropped to about .99.

I'm going to want it carbonated, but does the taste really change that much? It is amazingly clean tasting right now, and there's a party I'd like to bring it to this weekend (plan on bottling tonight)

BrewDey said:
Does this stuff condition much in the bottle? I just ask because it's been in the primary for 5 weeks, and now is much clearer and tastier than even a week ago...it's also dropped to about .99.

I'm going to want it carbonated, but does the taste really change that much? It is amazingly clean tasting right now, and there's a party I'd like to bring it to this weekend (plan on bottling tonight)

What do you mean it "dropped to about .99"?

Evan! said:
What do you mean it "dropped to about .99"?
I'm guessing FG of 0.99. Mine is 0.998 last time I checked. Unlike beer apple juice is very highly fermentable and the yeast will eat up nearly all of it leaving a very dry beverage. Because alcohol is lighter than water the FG ends up a little lighter than water.
Craig

Evan! said:
dang! I'm excited.

hey, what's the typical OG/ABV on this stuff anyway?

Evan,

1.) The OG 1.064 FG 1.000 - ABV 8.5%

2.) I've always used energizer. The yeast mfg'r says to do so. I did this last batch with Cotes but forgot it when I pitched. It stalled early. Dropped in energizer w/o boiling (directions don't say to boil) alka-seltzer like activity started within seconds. Since then its been going full bore.

3.) Check this youtube link:

It been like this ever since. :mug:

The use of energizer or nutrient cuts down on the rhino farts. If you decide not to use it, some day you will come home wondering if an animal is in need of of Immodium and Gas-x is in your house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input.

I put the nutrients into boiling water for a few minutes, just to dissolve them and ensure sanitation.

So now it's in the carboy. I am still dumbfounded by how easy that was. When you're used to 6-hour intense brew sessions, 15 minutes is unbelievable. There's no visible activity yet, but there was a little positive pressure on the airlock this morning.

Thanks, Ed!

Ryanh1801 said:
Thanks again Edwort. Just had my first (ok well 4) carbed apfelwein and it is great. Going to get another batch going tomorrow. My Roommate also says thanks. This stuff makes American and English cider taste like BMC.

yeah, I know. I can't drink the sweet stuff after a few apfelwein. I'm glad you like it.

WOOHOO

Local supermarket is closing down, CHEAP APPLE JUICE!

I will have two batches of this going immediately! OK maybe 3.

guess what I just got during lunch.....2 lbs of dextrose....5g of yeast....

you'll never guess what I'm making this weekend....oh wait, this is the apfelwein thread isn't it....... :D

Schlenkerla said:
2.) I've always used energizer. The yeast mfg'r says to do so. I did this last batch with Cotes but forgot it when I pitched. It stalled early. Dropped in energizer w/o boiling (directions don't say to boil) alka-seltzer like activity started within seconds. Since then its been going full bore.

Had it actually stalled or was there just no airlock activity? A rapid response like that points to a release of dissolved CO2 due to the must being disturbed, rather than an actual increase in yeast activity.

It was bubbling about once a minute the previous day. Then it stopped passing gas through the airlock. There was no visible activity through the carboy either.

When I added the energizer it was like it triggered a flurry of activity. Like what would occur if you opened a shook up 2-liter bottle of soda. After I added the energizer it sat on the top of the must or floated with a little fizz action and stopped. Then I put the carboy cap back on and shook the carboy just to slosh the must and wet the energizer, it sunk to the bottom, and bam it was bubbling like mad (inside and out). Literally like 3 seconds after sloshing the thing. Its exactly like the video I posted.

I was completely amazed. I never saw a transition of being totally static to a big release of activity. It was very cool. :rockin:

Yep, definitely dissolved CO2 coming out of suspension. Adding the energizer introduced nucleation sites into the must. Not that I'm saying it hadn't stalled; it's just that the immediate reaction wasn't because fermentation was restarting.

flowerysong said:
Yep, definitely dissolved CO2 coming out of suspension. Adding the energizer introduced nucleation sites into the must. Not that I'm saying it hadn't stalled; it's just that the immediate reaction wasn't because fermentation was restarting.

I guess... I normally add it and this time I knew I forgot. I was just surprised by it all. I'm not usually in the habit of messin' with the fermenter once the yeast is pitched and showing activity. Whatever happened its going gang busters now.

Info from the Mfg'r

Product Description:
Red Star&#174; C&#244;te des Blancs (Davis 750), a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, has been derived from a selection of the Geisenheim Institute in Germany. It is a relatively slow fermenter, identical to Geisenheim Epernay, but producing less foam. This yeast requires nutrient addition for most chardonnay fermentations. C&#244;te des Blancs produces fine, fruity aromas and may be controlled by lowering temperature to finish with some residual sugar. It is recommended for reds, whites, sparkling cuv&#233;es and non-grape fruit wines (especially apple, it is reported). Ferments best between 17&#176;-30&#176;C (64&#176;-86&#176;F). Sensitive below 13&#176;C (55&#176;F).
http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/wineyeast/cote.html

Another Source:

:mug:

One batch with yeast pitched. Yeah!

Yeast was a bit out of date, hopefully it will do alright... :eek:

Awwwww yeeeuh! Got 1 bubble/sec on the airlock this morning. Pretty cool watching the montrachet yeast do its thing. So much more calm and dignified than beer yeast. No krausen, just looks like someone has a few aeration stones going in there.

Hey, anyone know whether it'd be worth it to re-use the trub and dump more apple juice and sugar onto it when this batch is done? I've never re-used dry yeast before.

Evan! said:
Awwwww yeeeuh! Got 1 bubble/sec on the airlock this morning. Pretty cool watching the montrachet yeast do its thing. So much more calm and dignified than beer yeast. No krausen, just looks like someone has a few aeration stones going in there.

Hey, anyone know whether it'd be worth it to re-use the trub and dump more apple juice and sugar onto it when this batch is done? I've never re-used dry yeast before.

I have a batch I'm about to keg this weekend that I pitched on top of the yeast from an earlier batch. Worked fine. The ferment was a little more robust though and I actually had a blow off. I'm about to do the same again only I'll leave a little space in the neck to try and avoid the blow off. I also saved a little less than a half gallon of applejuice from the last batch that didn't fit in the carboy. I plan on tossing it into the keg and letting the keg naturally carbonate off it.

Evan! said:

You could do it however honestly I wouldn't as dry yeast goes for about a buck a packet and there is always a chance of infection by using old yeast cakes. When dealing with liquid yeast the small gamble can be worth is as it can be 1/3 of the total cost of your batch. In this case its about 1/18th and makes little sense. I would just buy 5 packets of dry yeast and use em as you need.

Back