Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob we were very nervous about the shock function as well. The vibration mode has been really reliable since she knows what's coming next if she doesn't react how we want. She was a rescue as well and is pretty sensitive but the shock was not as hard on her as we thought. It's adjustable from 1 to 18 in intensity so it doesn't have to be painful.

I haven't yet, but I may. I normally use a martingale with him. He's generally a very friendly dog, but if he meets another dog and they give off any aggression it's on so having a collar that gives me control without risk of hurting him is important. Where is the pressure point on these?

The pressure point is around the muzzle of the dog. If they try to pull it kind of pulls their head down and to the side. That's the biggest benefit for us with our Rott. He is very reactive, and being able to turn him away from the confrontation lets you get his attention back and break him out of escalating.

I agree with all the people who said it doesn't work for them though, it's not hard to get out of it when there is no pressure on the loop. It mostly works for us but I would like to try one of those harnesses that attach the leash at the chest.

Wow.... Where did you get the Akita....... Beautiful Dog!!!!!

I had a buddy 20 years ago that had an Akita roaming around in his Bike Shop... He was absolutely the best looking animal I have ever seen..... the Akita, I mean..... threw that in for clarification!!!!!

Friends with his breeder. He is being trained to be my mobility service animal.

Unless your dog has a really short muzzle, if you get the headcollar properly adjusted they won't be able to get it off. It's also important to work with them A LOT when you first put it on because if they do manage to get it off once or twice, they'll never give up until they get it off after that and it becomes useless.

Unless your dog has a really short muzzle, if you get the headcollar properly adjusted they won't be able to get it off. It's also important to work with them A LOT when you first put it on because if they do manage to get it off once or twice, they'll never give up until they get it off after that and it becomes useless.

Both if these are so true. My Newfie could not do a gentle leader with his complete lack of muzzle.

My friend's Ridegeback mix was the first dog he ever had with issues walking on a leash. He bought a head collar but did not actually read the instructions so it never got adjusted correctly for the three months he was using it...he was complaining about it at one of our races where Manny popped the nose collar off while one of the teenage daughters of a teamate was walking him. Two minutes and I had it fixed. Nine months later he still spends at least a half hour trying to get it off every time it is put on.

My dog unclipped the leash from the harness. :( He's also somehow unclipped from his lead outside. I looked for the old fashioned type of clip that is just curved, with the piece that you depress with your thumb. Can't find one anywhere.

This is all true. Our Rott is pretty good while walking when there is tension on the muzzle loop, but if we put him on the tie out he can just dip his head and rub his face on the ground to get it off in about a second.

My dog unclipped the leash from the harness. :( He's also somehow unclipped from his lead outside. I looked for the old fashioned type of clip that is just curved, with the piece that you depress with your thumb. Can't find one anywhere.

Carabiner is your friend

Not spoiled. She does this when I get up to shower. I hate how much I love her and how much I let her get away with stuff.
image.jpg

This is all true. Our Rott is pretty good while walking when there is tension on the muzzle loop, but if we put him on the tie out he can just dip his head and rub his face on the ground to get it off in about a second.

A headcollar should only be used on a leash and NEVER on a dog that's not attended.

On the topic of leashes, collars, harness's. Below Amy is showing off her harness. It was one of the type that hooked in the front so that if the dog tried to pull or bolt, it would spin them around. With work Amy has become a great off-leash dog, so I modified it so that it hooks on top. A short leash that hangs at its center pulls through the loop when you grab one end and stops to make it long enough to walk with but not drag on the ground when centered.

Amy is pretty good even when we come across other dogs, but the owners can be intimidated by an off-leash dog. This setup lets me grab the leash until we're past, then she gets her freedom back, sniffing for rabbits in the fields.

Not a great picture, but you get the idea . . .

harness.jpg

New Boy Beau and our 5 year old rescue Harley Bear! Beau is growing fast. At five months he is able to steal bacon off the counter top!!!

Harley & Beau.jpg

this freckle-face has been with us 5 years now

Happy Adoption Day to the Howdy!

The Howdy celebrated by waking the Daddy up at 2:45 am to go outside.

19341_1362378343234_129507_n.jpg

Have been considering using one to break Dixie from raising so much hell at the front door when guests arrive. She has that ominous big vicious dog bark and it tends to scare the home health aides that I have coming all the time lately. Don't want to break her spirit or stop her completely but when we tell her enough she needs to stop and not continue to threaten. I have just caught back up on this thread and like the different options because a buzz before a shock is much more referable to me. I just have a real issue with shocking her because she is so sensitive to me and my needs. I got her as a Service Dog and we have completely bonded so if I am having a bad day she senses it and becomes even more protective which tends to make her do the vicious bark. Once the guest is inside the house she immediately loses interest in them and goes back outside to patrol her domain. Just that initial greeting and allowing invited visitor in is the issue I have been working on to break the habit. Thanks for a bunch of great ideas and some possible resolutions to getting her trained to hush when told to do so. She is a full blooded and very smart German Shepherd and is headstrong and willful because she is still quite young at only 3 1/2 years old. Sorry to chime in so late, but been doing life on life's terms lately and it has kept me super busy since I fell and broke my hip. Finally just about over that, since I fell in Oct all that is left is pain and regaining muscle strength I lost from being bedridden for a long while.

Wheelchair Bob

A company called spray commander makes a citronella scented remote spray collar that has worked well for us. The collars have a beep and 2 spray settings. Only downside is they go through batteries quick and they're an odd size. We have 2 Belgian malinois on 1 acre, unfenced. We were able to border train them pretty well with it.

Like this? Should be available at any hardware store, back by the cable and rope.

For those of you who went the e-collar routine for training (not yard boundaries), did you do so with a trainer or own your own? I can't find a trainer around here that I like that uses e-collars and I'm a little leary about taking it on myself. I've been working Ozzy on heeling, and walking nice and he's better than he was, but still no where near to the point where I could trust him off leash with or without another dog around.

For those of you who went the e-collar routine for training (not yard boundaries), did you do so with a trainer or own your own? I can't find a trainer around here that I like that uses e-collars and I'm a little leary about taking it on myself. I've been working Ozzy on heeling, and walking nice and he's better than he was, but still no where near to the point where I could trust him off leash with or without another dog around.

We did it on our own. The beep function was pretty easy to use as a substitute for clicker training, lots of info available online for that. She learned the buzz from the vibration came before a shock correction because we a used the vibration EVERY TIME before the shock. She probably only been zapped 5 or 6 times. Now when I beep her she looks at me, if she's focusing on something other than what I want her to do I give her a quick buzz with the vibration button and she stops, sits and looks at me.

Dear Killian (named after the street we found you on)

You were the best brew dog ever and will be forever missed.

Sincerely,
This grown man will cry next brew day.

P1010595.jpg

Oh man, sorry to hear that. That's always really hard.
Thanks, it's been a rough week. We forget how much a part of us they really are until their gone.

He was great, over the years he had honed his internal timer razor sharp. He would show up at the end of a 60 minute mash, knowing he would get a big handful of grains. A 90 minute mash with Pilsner would throw him from time to time, but he was ok with it.

Not interested in posting pictures as it will take too much effort. I am curently staying with friend/co-worker/former roommate at my house. His dog continues to to be a "burden" to him.

Manny is sleeping at my feet after a massive 30 seconds of head petting. He has integrated himself into our pack without an issue and 90% of his behavioral issues...gone.

My dogs are all damaged in one way or another but they are bonded. The pack mentality is a real thing. Outside of his marking, he can realistically be a member of our family...so why is he such an ass the rest of the time (ok, probably because he is a lone dog that needs a pack...did I answer my own quenstion?).
Frustrated...

My russell girl is the best dog in the universe. Subjectively speaking, of course! She's sharp as an arrow and fast as one, too. She practices a personalised greeting style for each member of our family and even our regular guests. She even has amazing mind control super powers. And she's fearless, except when my wife takes her to the shower!

10429839_10153265327697697_7305173760039932140_n.jpg

Agree. Looks like something my dog would drag in from the fields and proudly leave on the porch.

The first time I brought him to the vet, I told them "Good luck to take his temperature". They thought I was kidding... They had a hard time finding the brown eye! :)

He got shaved last in August, at 3/8". He hasn't fully grown his coat.

Before his first haircut:

2mpd73p.jpg

MC

Back