Motorized Malt Mill, Both Rollers Driven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msheraw

Reaction score
I think we all agree a motorized malt mill can be somewhat expensive. I could really use advice / insight as to if it is necessary to have both rollers driven?

Could you save some money and just go with JSP with the fixed single drive motor? Is the gear drive really necessary?

:tank:

Not at all, I think driving both of rollers would be complete overkill. I built my mill out of Monster Mill rollers, an old dryer motor and sheaves and a belt from grainer and I had about $150 into it when all said and done. That is no more expensive than a barley crusher and it's much more robust...just took some planning and building.

Not at all, I think driving both of rollers would be complete overkill. I built my mill out of Monster Mill rollers, an old dryer motor and sheaves and a belt from grainer and I had about $150 into it when all said and done. That is no more expensive than a barley crusher and it's much more robust...just took some planning and building.

What is your average efficiency with the monster mill?

I think we all agree a motorized malt mill can be somewhat expensive. I could really use advice / insight as to if it is necessary to have both rollers driven?

Could you save some money and just go with JSP with the fixed single drive motor? Is the gear drive really necessary?

:tank:

It is not necessary and not even an advantage. Mine is a fixed gap JSP (I would not buy one; mine was free from MBC) with a Bodine AC gearmotor. I would buy a BC or MM. Yes, standard motors are cheaper, but then you have to get pulleys (sheaves) and a v-belt and then guard the belt.

You can find large enough gear motors for $50-$80 on Ebay, , and the Lovejoy couplings and spider from McMaster Carr are less than $15.

I would think that adjustablilty would give you more benfit that dual driven rollers.

That and you can always passively drive the second roller with a rubber o-ring around the driven roller that is slightly thinker than your gap size as most JSP mills are.

The grain going through the mill generally causes the other rollers to turn. So there is no need to have both powered. At least not with my BC.

Back