WL East Coast Ale Yeast - Who has a good all grain recipe for this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffsta

Reaction score
I have a couple vials of the While Labs East Coast Ale yeast, but I cant seem to find many recipes for it.

I would prefer a nice light summer ale, but will take whatever...

Any suggestions, or at least what this yeast would be good to substitute for?

From White Labs "Our "Brewer Patriot" strain can be used to reproduce many of the American versions of classic beer styles. Similar neutral character of WLP001, but less attenuation, less accentuation of hop bitterness, slightly less flocculation, and a little tartness. Very clean and low esters. Great yeast for golden, blonde, honey, pales and German alt style ales."

A lot of us like the Centennial Blonde Recipe from BierMuncher

I think that an "american bitter" would be really great, take a british recipe, swap out the english hops for American versions, and use the East Coast ale instead of an english yeast.

The american hefe sounds interesting... I have some of the centennial blonde right now. Im just not familiar with it, as I have never used it. I cant seem to find any recipies that specifically call for it. But a nice blonde or hefe would be good for the summer...

Great... Not what I wanted to hear, but hopefully you just had a bad experience with it... Maybe thats why I was able to get them at 3 bucks each from my LHBS.

The yeast is from Sam Adams according to Yeast Strains.

Never used it, but if its tart in character, I'd keep the IBUs on the lower side (30-40). Use a flavor/aroma hop that is more flowery/spicy (like the nobles) to play off the tartness instead of piney/citrusy hops like those in IPAs. Think like a chef!

Sounds like it might be good for a red/porter/stout... or a wheat beer?

Back