Centennial vs. Cascade (Cascade vs. Centennial?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer, Centennial or Cascade?

• Cascade

• Centennial

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I was discussing the Cascade vs. Centennial conundrum with another member. It's a hard choice. Which do you guys ultimately prefer? (No right or wrong answer.)

I prefer whats in the recipe. ;)

Honestly, I went and picked up an oz of Centenials today for dry hopping purposes. I still think that I am too much of a brew noob to make an 'educated' argument as to why I prefer one over the other.

I used cents cause the recipe had them in it, and I followed the formula (sortof) how people went about dry hopping. (Hey it made sense in my head) ;)
-Me

I'm voting Centennial, but how do you compare them? They're so unique!

Cascade - dry bittering quality, spicy citrus flavor and aroma with a touch of pine.

Centennial - even bittering quality, more of a floral aroma with a hint of pine and freshness.

I use cascades in a lot of APA's I do, but cascades don't touch my IPA. Centennial all the way for those.

+2... no real comparison.

I prefer Centennial's flavor, which I think is much richer and more complex than Cascade. They are not comparable.

Wow -- looks like Cascade really took a beating?

r2reng said:
I prefer Centennial's flavor, which I think is much richer and more complex than Cascade. They are not comparable.

I would argue that if hops can be compared at all, Centennial and Cascade would be the place to start.

That aside, I've found just the opposite to be true for my own purposes, in that Cascade seems more flavorful, etc, when compared to Centennial. I could be deluding myself, though; I have much more experience with Cascade when compared to Centennial. Maybe I need to broaden my horizons?

Centennial = floral, Cascade = citrusy.

They complement each other amazingly well, so I rarely use them separate.

give me cascade any day of the year. cents are too floral for me, this is coming from someone right next to bells which uses almost exclusively centenial in all their brews. like drinking beer from a perfume bottle.

give me cascade any day of the year. cents are too floral for me, this is coming from someone right next to bells which uses almost exclusively centenial in all their brews. like drinking beer from a perfume bottle.

This is my perspective, I suppose. It's like grapefruit compared to orange blossom, or something like that.

Again though, not suggesting there's any right or wrong answer.

I LOVE CENTENNIAL. Dry hopping with it makes me a happy person!! :mug:

Honestly, I think both are at their best when used together.

Another +1

I usually use them together, but if I had to chose one it would probably be Centennial because I need less of it for bitterness, saving wort in high IBU beers.

Craig

Centennial, it's just a little less tired than Cascade. Drinking the Cascaded-Bud American Ale, not a bad beer but the hop flavor just tasted cliche.

For that kind of "American" hop profile, though, I'll go with Amarillo all day long - either by itself or with one of these two.

I prefer Cascade for many of my recipes. Centennial tastes too floral for me.
Amarillo has been growing on me as well.

For me, I guess it depends on the brew currently in the kettle.

They both have their applications. But I will tell you this. When I brew a batch with cascade I always wonder what it would be like with centennial. That doesn't happen the other way around. :mug:

No better hop combo for anything west coast USA related. I have them as my 'house hop combo'! If I had to pick one then probably centennial for its dual purpose usage. It needs to be used again and again, over and over, ad infinitum...

Back