Keerzer Build Questions (adhesive/covering it)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I now have everything I need for the Keezer I am building.

I just picked up a 7 CF Kenmore Chest freezer and plan to put a COLLAR on it with a part of a Table-Top I refinished for the bar.

A Single Double Tap Tower in the back center

My questions are:
  • Where I plan to place the collar is convered in "plastic" and I was wondering if I glue it down (as I see many people talk about) what kind of adhesive should I use for Plastic to Wood?
  • Do I need to "rough" the plastic up before adding the adhesive?
  • Can I cover the out side of the keezer with wood directly on the Chest Freezer? There seems some debate on letting it breathe and I don't know enough about how Chest Freezers operate to answer this.

The option would be to add a spacer which I have also seen done so air can circulate up the sides....

I don't see this as an issue because it will be operating at so much les than its capacity... (It is rated to burn $30 of electiricity a year and I will be running much warmer than needed.

DPB

- Liquid Nails will stick to anything (including the user). Clean the contact surfaces, but no need to rough 'em up.

- I would leave some air space between the finish layer and the freezer skin - and I'd provide some positive ventilation of that space. You'll see lots of folks that have small muffin fans making sure there's a decent exchange of air in that space...

Cheers!

- Liquid Nails will stick to anything (including the user). Clean the contact surfaces, but no need to rough 'em up.

- I would leave some air space between the finish layer and the freezer skin - and I'd provide some positive ventilation of that space. You'll see lots of folks that have small muffin fans making sure there's a decent exchange of air in that space...

Cheers!

Thanks,

I was going to use 2 x 4s on the front, 1 x 2s on the side, and the back will be open.

The reason for the 1 x 2 is I have a table top I have refinished for the bar to and it is 42 inches and I want a little "overhang" Since the chest freezer is 37 inches long that onlyu gives me 2.5 inches per side.

I also plan to put the top on so it goes past over the hinges, an overhang in back so I can mount the Temp Controller near the hinges and not worry about it ever getting "banged".

DPB

So I have just about finished this thing and it's "Sister"

I found hat since I put a pallet under it and i is being held in place with the collar and the fram I proably could have just used Silicone instead of the "Liquid Nail".

I am just awaiting a few items I ordered and I wil post pictures..

So I have just about finished this thing and it's "Sister"

I found hat since I put a pallet under it and i is being held in place with the collar and the fram I proably could have just used Silicone instead of the "Liquid Nail".

I am just awaiting a few items I ordered and I wil post pictures..

It looks like its too late for this suggestion but I made my collar really deep so I could put a keg on the hump, to fit five in the 7 cu ft keezer. I originally siliconed the collar to the plastic but after lifting kegs that high over the collar I ended up cutting it back off and making both the collar and the lid open. Since you're already done I guess this is something for others reading this thread to consider.

It looks like its too late for this suggestion but I made my collar really deep so I could put a keg on the hump, to fit five in the 7 cu ft keezer. I originally siliconed the collar to the plastic but after lifting kegs that high over the collar I ended up cutting it back off and making both the collar and the lid open. Since you're already done I guess this is something for others reading this thread to consider.

Neat I had not seen anyone do that yet or if I did did not understand.

In my case it might not work well since I want this to be a bar also and that might be to high.

I just added the outside covering tonight, still need the trim and the furnature part will be done.

I am building two of them at the same time since I had spare parts and table top.

One is Oak and the other is Walnut.

I will be posting it a little later when they are finished.

Walnut.jpg

Oak.jpg

Back